1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Good affordable paint gun?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Ravenz07, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Christmas is coming up and the lady is wonder what to get me. I am needing one that I can get relatively good, smooth results on a larger project as I plan on painting my Firebird within this next month or two. I pretty much always wet sand and polish a paint job to get that always wet look, but I had to do a lot of that to get the paint smooth on the Maxim using the cheap HF gun. I would really like to not have to do that on a car lol.

So basically I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good, affordable paint gun for doing a car. I appreciate any advice from you guys.

2. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

3. schooter

schooter Active Member

there was just a tpoic on this not too long ago...

4. yamasarus

yamasarus Member

You can get great results with the Devilbiss Starting Line guns for not much money.

5. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

After looking at that other forum, a few people recommended the Devilbiss finishline, Im thinking of that. Anyone have any pictures of their results with this gun?

6. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

I've used expensive guns and I'ved used cheap guns. I like my Finishline. For the price, it's a good gun. Here's some examples of jobs I've done with it.

Attached Files:

7. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

another example

Attached Files:

8. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

and another

Attached Files:

9. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Not to dispute 86's testament to the Devilbliss Finishline... but I am far too cheap to pay that much for a gun (even though that is not a bad pice)...right now anyways.
    I think I paid about $40 for my HF hvlp gun and here are some of the jobs I have done with that..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so there ya have it...water's all muddy again..lol

Actually I thinks it more about technique than your equipment... although REALLY cheap stuff will only get you frustrated. I have had no problems with my HF special....who knows.. maybe I just got lucky. Also, make sure you have a compressor big enough to feed an hvlp gun. Nuttin' worse than having to wait on the compressor to 'catch up'.
    Make sure you post some pics of your work when you start painting stuff !! :D

10. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

Mad got really good results with his hf gun. I'm assuming he is experienced at laying it down. Someone who is not experienced , already has enuff on their plate without worrying about the shortcomings of a cheap gun. Just my opinion.

11. captrobb

captrobb Member

My very first gun was a HF gun and I had only done spray can prior to that. I found making sure the compresor was big enough, spray pattern was adjusted, tips were correct, I get the gun at a steady distance and didn't go wet, but sprayed light coats, that it worked pretty dog gone well. I was very pleased with the results.

12. 86maximusXJ700

86maximusXJ700 Member

Some paints are not meant to go down in thin coats.

13. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

I had forgotten about this thread....

That is true, the majority of paints I have seen require wet coats. I have used the HF gun on previous paint jobs and I have had good results. But the thing is, I always wet sand a paint job to make it that much nicer. I suppose those with better guns are able to lay down smoother, and dont need to do as much work if at all.

My Christmas present for this year was the Devilbiss Finishline. I havent had the opportunity to try it yet, but I just bought a gallon of silver today for my Firebird, I will post pics and see what happens. Im not sure if I will be able to get my hands on a good enough compressor though...

Which would be a real downer, because I have heard sooo many good things about this gun. Oh well, if it happens, it happens. It will be something I wont have to purchase later.

Mad, I have said it before and I will say it again. You do incredible work.

14. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Thanks for the compliments guys!! :D

I must have gotten lucky with the gun I got.... My car was the first painting I tried, the black bike #2 and my 750 Shadow #3. But I would agree 86, there's enough to worry about with wondering if it's you or the gun!! :D