1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New (to me) Maxim in the garage - what to check?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jonathanknutson, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jonathanknutson

jonathanknutson New Member

I brought home a 1982 XJ750 Maxim this weekend and am eager to get it ready for Spring. I was reading about a common (& major) issue with delamination of the rear drum brake pads and got to thinking... What else could be a common &/or very important item to make sure is working well before I put my trust in this machine? Anybody have suggestions? Thanks!

2. moellear

moellear Member

the compression. use a psi gauge tester and find out what kinda compression is across 'em cylinders. pull the plugs, unplug TCI connections (two wide white connectsion located under left side panel), wide open throttle and check each reading. check to see they are all equal

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

SOLID advice; hopefully you did that prior to purchase...

Read everything in here that pertains to you and your bike: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=27544.html

Especially read all of the XJ forum links listed under "- COOL HAND LUKE: GETTING YOUR MIND RIGHT:"

Then track down a service manual and have at it.

Welcome aboard!

4. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Welcome to the 82-XJ750J Club - I voted myself in as President. :lol: Send in your dues NOW if you want the beginning of the year discount. :wink:

:idea: Add you location to your info and your bike info to your signature for future posts.

I'm no expert in what to check mechanically, so refer to the above MEGA post and other's comments.

Many replace/upgrade their front brake lines. I'm planning on this myself. (I really need to get off my lazy behind and check my compression before I get to carried away with other planned projects/purchases).

I and many others will recommend you replace your OEM fuse panel. Its a cheap and simple project. (Check my electrical post for some project pictures).

Beyond the common stuff like brakes, fluids, compression, and the fuse panel - keep reading the forums and wait for more good responses. 8)

5. Galamb

Galamb Member

Welcome to this great site!!

But before you check your compression, check the valve clearances first.

Makes not much sense to check your compression, if your valves are tight.

6. jonathanknutson

jonathanknutson New Member

Thanks everyone for the input - Was looking at some of the links to other how-to posts, like checking valve clearances. Amazing how much info is available on here. Looking forward to getting started and hope I eventually can help out future newbies like myself!