1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

To Vetter or Not ?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by fatjack, Jan 15, 2011.

1. fatjack

fatjack New Member

Ok I just acquired a 1982 Seca 650 with a Vetter Quicksilver fairing. I don’t know if I quite like the vetter. Here is my only idea about painting the fairing to make it more tolerable. I am missing the headlight and turn signals for the bike but did find a bracket locally. Opinions on whether to keep the fairing or go naked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Toecutter

Toecutter New Member

does it matter what other people think? go with what YOU like, it's your bike! =)

3. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I always liked the protection from the elements with a Vetter fairing on my bike. Along with a radio installed in it, it was a sweet ride to work each morning when it was chilly. I've grown to really dislike the looks of them however and it go rid of alot of front end weight when I removed it.
    I'd take it off and ride naked!

4. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

this is so funy becuase I was just reading something along the same lines yesterday.
    http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Owners ... etDog.html
    Read the second story.

Keep the bike Fairinged , go buy another bike and keep it naked! then you got the best of both world.
    Some day I like it naked, some days, like today, I like the big nose in front of me.

5. Toecutter

Toecutter New Member

that's a great point!
    more along the lines of practicality vs aesthetics, than aesthetics alone.

6. fatjack

fatjack New Member

Thats funny my main bike is a stratoliner with a radio fairing and have grown to like the protection and radio. Leaning towards naked for my play bike...

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Strictly a matter of personal preference.

I've ridden street bikes for over 42 years and I've tried fairings, both frame and handlebar mounted, at a couple of different points in my riding career. I don't like them. They just don't suit my riding style. The early 550 Seca's fairing was, according to Yamaha, "removable." I like the bike much better without it; but then again that's me.

Others absolutely swear by them, and likely rightfully so--- for them.

At least whoever put the QS on your bike did it right, it's at the proper height and angle and all.

NOTE***the 650 Seca's original headlight was a black shelled 8" round halogen unit, while almost all the other Yammies at the time had chrome "standard" 7" lights. (Just wanted you to know that if you start looking for a round headlight.)

8. Cooter

Cooter Member

Naked.

The Seca 650 is too pretty a bike to have a fairing on. Swap the vetter to something already ugly, like a CX650 custom. :p

9. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I'd have to agree however about the statement made on one of the articles on the Vetter site. They do "slice" thru the wind and make the ride alot more stable when there's a strong wind. I miss that part of it.
    I've grown more acustom to the batwing style fairing you see on Harleys, which do protect better than a windshield and really help against the wind issue. I like the looks alot better too!

[​IMG]

10. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I'd much prefer the OEM 650 Seca headlight - that particular bike looks so good with it. If you would need additional wind management, I'd get a Plexifairing or similar windshield that you can take off when not needed.

11. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

For long trips or cold wheather you cant beet a fairing. If you mostly make short fast crouch rocket style trips then leave it naked.

12. wizard

wizard Active Member

Go naked as the Good Lord intended, put on a fairing & that's the first step towards being a cage.........

13. danmar1963

danmar1963 Member

I have to ask, What is the bike on the far side of the Seca?

14. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I'm a vetter guy at the moment.

I think THAT fairing would look good on an 82 750 seca that doesn't have a factory fairing. Nice sharp angles :)

15. Cooter

Cooter Member

The part that is missed by some of the non 650R guys is that the egros are designed for long distance riding without a fairing. The slight forward lean is perfect for gobbling up long distances of curvy road in comfort; it is one of the original European sport tourers, and does it very well. It is NOT a crotch rocket, by any means.

16. fatjack

fatjack New Member

The bike on the otherside is a 2008 Yamaha Stratoliner thats my long distance baby. I think I will sell the vetter on ebay and start looking for a headlight bucket and turn signals since the 650 is my around town beater.