1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

650 to 750 swap?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ga2001532, Jan 17, 2011.

  1. ga2001532

    ga2001532 Member

    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    I recently got my first bike which is a 1982 xj650 maxim. But am I found a 1982 750 maxim for pretty cheap. Now am wondering are the frames the same. Could I just swap everything or. The reason for this is the 750 has a fresh blue paint. NOt my type and my mom wants a bike so I would like to take the 750 motor and put it into my 650 so she can have the blue. Colored frame. In my head I don't see how I couldn't just swap everything.
     
  2. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    Most will swap. I think you'll find that the 750 uses a linkage on the shifter that's going to give you some issues.

    Why not just let mom ride it as a 750?
     
  3. cutlass79500

    cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,226
    Likes Received:
    51
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    lawrenceville georgia
    It will swap fine. It is not worth the effort to swap motors so what if she has a faster bike you can still out run her just by driving aggressive. To me that's a bunch of work for a bike that's not that much faster then your 650. But if your up to it go for it . I think the tci might be different also but i am not sure
     
  4. maverickbr77

    maverickbr77 Member

    Messages:
    859
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Lowville, New York
  5. ga2001532

    ga2001532 Member

    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Well guys its not about her having a bigger bike but that 750 was going for 350 bucks with some items not bolted to the bike yet. A project not completed pretty much. If I was gonna go through all the work makin it nice I might as well have the bigger motor in my bike. But the sad news is the bike is gone. Was gonna go take a look today but am to late.
     

Share This Page