1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

odometer not working

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FABFABINC, Sep 26, 2009.

  1. FABFABINC

    FABFABINC Member

    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Montreal canada
    Hey guys !!!!!!!!!!
    My odometer stopped working today but the speedometer works I do not know how to make it work again any suggestions thanks in advance

    Fab
     
  2. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    The speedometer is directly driven by the cable. The odometer is geared off the speedometer drive. Odds are you have bad/worn gears.
     
  3. FABFABINC

    FABFABINC Member

    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Montreal canada
    Can you elaborate bad/worn gears ...Thanks
     
  4. FABFABINC

    FABFABINC Member

    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Montreal canada
    Could be worn because I did 500 kms today and all it went to was 15 kms lolol so prabably worn .Is it fixable
     
  5. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    Here's what's in there:

    [​IMG]

    B, C, D and E are the odometer drive; something's worn out or stripped. "A" is the main drive drum, it's ok.

    (this unit had its trip odo removed, it would attach at the blue arrow, and be driven by B, C and E.)

    Easier to replace than repair unless your instrument is in REALLY good shape.
     
  6. FABFABINC

    FABFABINC Member

    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Montreal canada
    Thanks BigFitz!!!! I guess I will leave it like this for now .
     
  7. FABFABINC

    FABFABINC Member

    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Montreal canada
    Even better I wont fix it sho she will always have low mileage lolololol
     
  8. extremo

    extremo New Member

    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Grand Manan NB
    My odometer is at 56k and has been since I bought the bike 6, 7? years ago. I didn't know at the time of purchase, and theoretically the bike shouldn't have passed the certification. Its my first (and only bike) and sadly its in Toronto and I'm in Shanghai. Oh well we'll get together again sometime.

    Thanks for the photograph! and the thread on rebuilding the tach, odometer, speedometer.
     

Share This Page