1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to Forum and to Yamaha Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by M1y4Nothing, Jan 24, 2011.

1. M1y4Nothing

M1y4Nothing Member

I've been saving and looking for an old shovelhead, but the Florida weather overwhelmed me and I decided I would rather ride than work on one. :twisted: My last Yamaha was a GP800R Waverunner, 125hp, 3 cyl awesome machine, It was a pig until I got it setup properly, after that never a problem (except broken motormounts...too much air!!!) So I'm sure the 82 XJ650 will keep a smile on my face. I'm waiting on the only manual (Haynes) I could get thru Borders, until then I was hoping to get some info from you guys:

1.) Websites to order parts
    2.) right now an online wiring diagram would be great.
    3.) what type of lube for the shaftdrive
    4.) the local auto parts place wanted over $200 for the airfilters seemed a bit much even for K&N. Is that a reasonable price?
    5.) Can I use a centerstand with the 4 into one exaust? Found one for $34
    6.) I could keep going but you probably have a forum topic that covers some of this...

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Welcome. I'm betting you love it!
    We have a resident parts vendor. Handle is Chacal. In the center of the banner is a link for his operation (XJ4EVER). His catalog takes some weeding through but his service and prices are outstanding.
    Wiring Diagrams
    Molybdenum disulphide grease for the shaft splines, 80W for the gear box (I always just used 80W90 because it's available everywhere).
    Buy it from XJ4EVER.
    Probably not. You may also have to re-jet the carburetors.
    6.) I could keep going but you probably have a forum topic that covers some of this...[/quote]
    Have a look at the XJ FAQ Suggestions board. Also the FAQ final has one in it.

3. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Think you will like it here. Lots of good info plus its the best place for parts for an xj

4. M1y4Nothing

M1y4Nothing Member

Awesome...Thanks for the quick response. The Fusebox has been removed and it only has two fuses connected to spade connectors (a 30A and a 15A) and then a few wires twisted together, however, everything seems to work, except the headlamp which is intermittent.
    Skip, an A&P mechanic and former salvage Motorcycle parts puller from Atlanta, came by while I was waiting and mentioned the need for re-jetting due to the 4 into 1. He also listened to the motor run and said I may have the two center rods knocking. He told me to listen to it when running "cold" and then again when it's hot (Using a Phillips screwdriver as a stethoscope) that if it was a good bit quieter it would be less of a worry.

I've got to get some sleep. Thanks again for responding.
    :)

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

BRAKES: Before any riding, check the rear brake for delamination; very common, very dangerous: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15874.html

Front brake lines need to be replaced if original (5-year life span) master cylinder and caliper will most likely need to be rebuilt, and check the DATE CODES on those tires! They're tubeless tires, you don't want to be riding around on them if they're more than about 6 years old max.

Don't worry about any "rod knock" diagnosis until you've adjusted the cam chain, changed the oil and filter, and attended to a few other items.

LOTS of good info, all collected together in one spot: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=27544.html

Welcome aboard. How many miles on the bike?

6. schooter

schooter Active Member

as a standard with a stock airbox, a +4 size jet is recommended so i think 650s have 116 mains.. so 120..

as far as your individual filters or pod filters go... these are constant velocity carbs, where you dont manually lift the slides... you open a butterfly valve and a vacuum lifts the slides... and these carbs dont like unrestricted air too much, now, there are 2 sides to pods, those who put them on and didnt even have to rejet, and it works fine, or jeted and worked fine, and those who went at it with a fist ful of jets and in frustration put their stock airbox back on... I am almost done with my bobber right now... and i kept the stock airbox because i dont want to gothrough the hassle and i think pods kinda look like ass..

just giving you the information... ultimately, choice it yours

7. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Welcome to the site !!
    Both of my XJ's have a 4 into 1 and centerstand. Decent access to the filter also.

8. skillet

skillet Active Member

Some good info already, just wanted to say WELCOME from TN...

skillet

9. fazerkid78

fazerkid78 New Member

Welcome!

10. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Don't forget to never mention the word pods or the gods will come get you lol