1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

past motorcycles

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cutlass79500, Jan 24, 2011.

1. schooter

schooter Active Member

ok only 19 and have had these bikes pass through me since 17..
    2000 Husqvarna TE610
    1985 Maxim 700
    1981 CB750
    1972 CB350
    1981 Seca 750
    1975 GT550

jeez 6 bikes and my dad only knew when i bought 2 of them... and im working on an xs650 tracker... i have a problem

2. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Wait till i tell your parents lol jeez all my vehicles except 1 are older then you you were born in the 90s now i feel old lol

3. tinytim

tinytim Member

Not all that many for me,so it's still easy to remember

68 Honda CB450 twin,plain ol' black and rough,first bike,got it in 83 or 84 when I was a teenager

78 Honda CB750K,also plain ol' black and rough,last year of the single cam and kickstart.Got it in 85 or 86

79 Honda CB750F,first year of double cams and no kickstart.Tied with the Harley (to be announced) as the best looking bike I've ever owned.It had just been painted dark blue and made into a drag bike before I got it.I rode it home with the slick and 6' wheelie bar,which I removed and rode it daily the whole time I had it.The PO told me it was made into a 900 too.He didn't offer any receipts or other proof of that,but from the way it pulled I believed it.Another distinguishing feature of this one was,it had no rear brake 8O ,front only,the whole time I had it :oops: What was I thinking?!?!Amazingly only caused me 1 very low speed spill when I had to panic stop on pea gravel to avoid rear-ending a parked car

78 Honda CB750F,once again plain ol' black and rough,had one of those little aftermarket cafe fairings,which really made it look good,till I rattle canned it day glow yellow.It was supposedly green,but sure looked yellow to me (Again I must ask...What was I thinking?!?!)

82-84,don't remember the exact year,Honda VF750 Sabre,coincidently had just been painted the same color as the drag bike before I got it too.To this day it's still the only water-cooled bike I've owned,and tied with the XJ as the only shaft drive.It was a V-4,DOHC,and IIRC it was a 6 speed.Got this one in 95

Suffered thru several years of having no bike,then got...

82 Honda 650 Nighthawk,yet again plain ol' black and rough.Bought this one cheap so I could "relearn" how to ride w/o worrying about crashing a nice bike.Turned out right from the first release of the clutch on the test ride I feel like I've been a BETTER rider than before :?

About 5 or 6 months later,I started looking for a nice bike,and came across.......

2000 Harley Sportster 883,either Yellow Pearl or Chrome Yellow,can't recall,had an orange look to it.100% stock when I got it,highly customized when I got rid of it.Lowered so much the pegs dragged even on Grandma-speed turns,hard-tail,hand shift,bobbed rear fender,no front fender,solo seat,"z-bars" 12" high handlebars,metal flake grips and shift knob,no gages,velocity stack air cleaner,custom pipes.

I actually had half way made a deal on an early 80's Honda V-65 Magna in absolutely MINT condition.Carefully studied every inch of it,fell in love with it on the spot (These were always one of my ultimate dream bikes),got the price down to what I felt was a good deal.

Then as I was leaving the dealership to go see about financing,I passed the Sportster,and it was just sooooo freakin' gorgeous.When I heard it idle and saw it shaking,that was all she wrote,I HAD to have it,even tho it was half again the price of the V-65 :oops:

Best for last dept...Finally we have...drum role please.......

83 Yamaha XJ750 Midnight Maxim,for the 5th time--black,and just a LITTLE rough looking when you get up close.This,as well as the drag bike,have also always been on my list of dream bikes

I still REALLY want a V-65 Magna tho.Maybe someday,ya just never know what could happen :lol:

4. cutlass79500

tinytim I can say you sure liked them 750 hondas. I had a v65 was a nice bike very flat power band overall was a great bike. Would recomend it highly as long as it did not have cam oiling problems or 2nd gear problems.

5. fazerkid78

fazerkid78 New Member

No worries! The first Seca makes an excellent parts bike for my "new" one. :D The thing with the first one is that I'm positive that It would have lasted many thousand more miles if it had been maintained better and kept in more of a stock configuration.

6. cutlass79500

Yea its just a shame it had to happen. Glad you kept it for a parts bike saves a lot of money on parts

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread has included some fantastic bikes! Cutlass, I only had so many because I began to always be thinking about the next one, like girlfriends- we don't enough time for THAT list<LOL>, now I have it a bit better controlled.

'79 Honda 750F is one of my all time "best looking bikes" & Schooters collection of ALL Classics as a kid is very, very cool! Schooter, you sure you're only 19? Most guys his age want gsxr's, R1's and 6's, Ninja's....I think we might have the makings of a Renaissance Man in him.

There are cruisers, rockets, some super capable dirt bikes. I'll bet that big Husky is more then a handful! I saw Texas had a A1S which is a 250 Two Stroke twin for those that don't know. They sold a "classic" and a "scrambler" model I think and it was very popular on the race circuit in the 250 class. Nice bike. I rode a F9 (350 two stroke single) once at a party that included a ride to the local quarry and I got the big Kaw..."well hell" I thought as I twisted the throttle WFO in second gear "how strong can this be"...I found out about 2 seconds later when the engine came on the pipe....Just let me say, I got respct for you Texas, very powerful engine!!

Yes Cutlass, of course I wish I still had some, especially my old H1's. I bought my first one for 200 in perfect condition and the second one in a box for 100 bucks. I ported my own engine after meeting and learning from a well known bike mag writer, then reassembled it. I couldn't believe it actually ran, and ran GOOD. When I finally gave it to a close friend(I thought) in 1985, it still ran well. My oldest daugher was born that year. Never saw the bike again....

Fitz, we're still waiting on you and the rest of you....

jeff

8. schooter

schooter Active Member

Jeff, second day i got the bike i pulled into the drive way, second gear, stood on the pegs and flipped it doing a wheelie... too much power for me, though i paid 1000 for it sold it for 1800, not too bad, was a fun bike but annoying with the left side kick start and it was really tall..

9. cutlass79500

jeff I know what you mean when i was young i bought all of my bikes cheap couldn't afford expensive bikes. So i kept striving for better bikes. If i thought it was better and i could afford it i bought it. I guess my parents were old school if i wanted something i had to buy it. I had part time jobs since i was about 13 when i turned 16 my parents saw what i was making and took a percentage which was ok. They never bought me a vehicle. I think when you have to pay for things you learn how to take care of them.

10. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Only three, but I am still young.

1999 Kawasaki Ninja ex500
    1975 Rd250
    1980 Xj650

Since I was laid off I haven't been able to get any more bikes. This of course hasen't stopped me from watching craiglist, and ALmost buying more. One semester of school cost me as much as another bike.

I want a xs,kz,and a cb. After that I will be happy.

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I HAVE to stay away from CL!! That's what got me in trouble by buying my 650 Turbo. Trouble in the way of buying a bike that I had no space for, not a hassle from anyone. There was an upside though since buying that bike is what brought me to this forum....

That CL though, that's whiskey to a drunk for me......

jeff

12. RangerG

RangerG Member

Short list.

1974 Suzuki TC 100
    1977 Can-am MX-3 250
    1980 Yamaha YZ 125
    1981 Yamaha XJ 550 Seca

13. grinder

grinder Member

ok,here we go,running or on the road were....

mz simson sb50 light.
    honda mt 5
    cb 125j
    3 x honda c 90's
    2 x honda mtx 125
    yammy rd200 (early model with big drum brake up front)
    yammy b wizz
    yammy rd350lc (still own)
    kwaka gpx600
    honda cbr 900 fireblade (96 rrt model)
    yammy xj 600 (still own)
    honda vt500 shadow (still own)
    all uk bikes except the vt which was imported from states.

14. cutlass79500

Hasersys You will never be happy i used to say the same thing. I would tell myself i would settle for a 750 when i really wanted an 1100. After i had the 750 a little while i would start thinking again and would end up trading off. But dreaming is good. When you go to buy get what you want the first time if possible.
    I have 2 project bikes now but i still look at craigslist all the time. Sorry about the layoff as long as you can survive your doing good. You have the rest of your life to work. Enjoy your youth as long as you can from here on out things are going to get tougher and more stressful. God i sound like my father used to i never believed him but it is true

15. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Hey Apsolus, I took my 12 y/o daughter on a tour of the southeastern states on a precious stone hunt....and one of our stoops was in your town.....bet you'll never guess what we went to Dahlonega to look for<LOL>??

We also went to NC and then from your town out to Diamond Crater park in Arkansas....quite a trip but we had a blast!~!

jeff

16. cutlass79500

if it was around this time of year SNOW lol the great white south

17. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

My biggest issue is I enjoy building things way to much. I prefer to stay at home and rebuild a motorcycle than go out with my girlfriend and freinds.

I want a new zx10, it would probably never leave the house. Building a race bike is some thing I want to do as well. Something small like a 600cc.

Idk, there is a lot I want to do, But staying around the house an building bikes is top of my list for enjoyment.

18. cutlass79500

you got the bug for sure. I am the same way. But i have learned 1 thing over the years. If you can fix them. There is no need to buy a new one its like throwing your money away. After a while you will slow down a bit. I keep telling myself this then i will look on craigslist and find something i have to have. If it keeps you out of trouble and from blowing your money in the clubs there is nothing wrong with that you have something when your done . Rather then renting a few beers

19. fazerkid78

fazerkid78 New Member

I forgot to list an EN500 Kawasaki Vulcan. My dad actually owned it but I put about 20,000 miles on it so I think it counts lol. I absolutely hated that thing, but it took any amount of abuse I could dish out to it and It still runs great to this day haha.

20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

you aren't the first person I've heard that from about that bike....not fast, not really comfortable......but completely reliable!!