1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wish me luck in getting her back

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by rotaryboots, Jan 27, 2011.

1. rotaryboots

rotaryboots New Member

I sold my seca 650 a couple years ago, and if any of you remember it, then you know it was beautiful and very well customized... I'll post a side picture of it.

Anyways, I sold it to buy a much newer 2001 TL1000s. I love my TL1000 and its got a TL drive train, and all ducati plastics, I call it my reliable ducati. So, I had someone call me a few months ago saying they now have my old seca and they had some questions on getting i running right... the guy I sold it to started messing with the hitachi carbs after letting it sit over a winter instead of just giving it fresh gas and priming the carbs...need I say more?
    So this new owner can't get it running right. The whole engine was rebuilt and I had the hitachi's as dialed in as they could ever be, so I know its still in good condition.

OK, so I didn't tell him much about fixing it because there's only so much you can do over the phone ya know and he's a 100 miles away. I kept his number though and a friend told me he still hasn't got it running yet. I'm going to call him in a couple days and see if I can't get her back. Its too gorgeous to let someone mess it up, and besides, my brother is looking to start going on rides with us and using a little more powerfull motorcycle than his old CB400. And I'd love it to get all my cafe bike clothes on and going on some old school rides. Lots of good memories on my old seca, bought her in a barn and restored her to the gem she is now over the course of 5 years. I can't sleep at night thinking its just wasting away in a garage somewhere.

So wish me luck, I'll shoot him a good offer and be willing to "take the trouble off his hands" and then step one will be doing what I've always wanted to do to it... finally put some real carbs on it, mikuni's or kehin's.

Pictures from oldest to newest:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got hundreds of these photos, just grabbed a few.
    *Points of interest:
    FZ gauges
    "Frenched" Yamaha LED integrated yamaha tail light
    Shorty LED front LED signals
    Reupholstered ostrich skin seat, raised rear section
    Rebuilt shocks/forks front and rear
    Rebuilt engine, shaved head -11:1 compression ratio
    Dialed cams
    enlarged ports
    bored stock (perfect) exhaust (was going to get a 4:2:1 for it...but sold it. First baffle cut out of stock system, a little louder, but tasteful)
    ...XJ750 ignition module, harsher ignition advance...I felt the difference between the two but my old module died and we had a 750 laying around...one of those things we just threw on to see if it would work.
    Drag bars
    braided brake lines
    Perfect paint
    original emblems

Too much to list, beautiful bike.

2. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

Good luck not very often you get a chance to get one back.

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Agreed, that bike, that you've done so much work to has a part of you in it and only you will ever be able to appreciate it. Good luck...I hope that you are able to make the both of you happy!!

jeff

4. rotaryboots

rotaryboots New Member

I called the guy, he still has it. He wants a fraction of what I sold it to him for. 300 dollars. Its in the exact same shape as when he bought it from me, minus his dumb carb tinkering. I'll be picking her up the middle of february :)
    So excited to be reunited

5. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

And the Woman never to seem to understand do they? Glad to see you getting back with your girl Bro.

Pertty bike

6. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Glad you found your long lost love. Now you can get rid of that suzuki and have a real Motorcycle lol only kidding

7. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

Best of luck getting it back!

I got mine back years after we parted ways - so it can happen - and when it does, your bike becomes a two-wheeled time machine that reminds you of good times past.

8. AutumnRider

AutumnRider Member

Wow, someone is looking out for you, go get that bike! Nice bike.

9. schooter

schooter Active Member

10. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

Very appropriate schooter.

11. Galamb

Galamb Member

thecamelman79, I wouldn't wait. You know guys, some times change their minds.
    The sooner you pick it up it's better. JMO

12. abentley19

abentley19 New Member

Congrats on getting her back! Same thing happened to me with my old truck. I was 15 I bought a totaled 91 toyota pickup 4wd for 200 bucks. Spent a year fixing it at my fathers body shop. Drove it for 2 years then sold it to a friend he ended up selling it so I haven't seen it around.. last year (5 years later) I saw it forsale but didn't have the money to buy it back.

13. rotaryboots

rotaryboots New Member

Couple more pictures to reminisce over. These were taken a few years ago while on a ride up HWY 12 near Missoula around July. There was a pull out and I decided...photoshoot. The seat I had re-done on the XJ is the most comfortable one I've ever been on. Had the upholster cut out a bunch of the old stiff foam and add some softer foam then had him make the back end flush with the tail, and he shaped it like a corbin saddle seat like the one on my old FJ1200.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the FJ1200, its a J bike so I think its worthy of at least one pic. Best sport touring bike I've ever owned so far.
    [​IMG]

I pay the guy the money for her in a couple weeks. Pretty excited to have my first love reunited.