1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

first build (help please)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by slobzer, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

The best thing for you to do is to use the search feature on here. Go to the top of the page and click the search button and type in bobber there are a ton of example's of bobber's and some have pretty detailed pics on how they built them. It's hard for guys to know what end result your going for we like lots of pics to go with ideals.

2. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Hey, I sent a pm to you.

3. slobzer

slobzer New Member

new questions!!!

i bought new shocks but there the same size as the stock ones, just black.

first of all what kind of tool do i need to disassemble the springs from the brackets? and second is it possible to cut the springs for a lower rear end?

4. schooter

schooter Active Member

haha, beer tap suicide shift, sounds familiar

im 19 as well, gotta learn from your mistakes.

depending on the brand you should be able to disassemble and cut the springs, im not the one to ask how, i ruined the last set i tried to do.

lots of sound advice here that you have to experience to appreciate, they all went through it, and knows whats going on.

5. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Let me chime in with my thoughts:

Ya can get shot going to a political rally. Ya can get runned over by a blue haired old lady in a cage. The Mayans say the world is going to end in 2012. The crazy North Koreans have nukes. So does Iran. Life is full of risks. I doubt a beer tap shifter handle will change any of that. Columbus would never have sailed his ship if he were afraid of the risks. Life without risks is no life at all. If we left everything as it was conceived by the engineers, there'd be no Carrol Shelby, no Vic Edelbrock.

People hack these bikes up without much knowledge of bikes because you can buy one of these for a song. It's a good learner bike. Learn to ride. Learn to wrench. Learn to modify. Mess it up? you're out a few bucks. Live and learn, but nobody loses their house. Get it figured out then move on to a newer, better, more expensive bike. I doubt many people will want to be riding one of these bikes 20 years from now. As for newbs coming on here hacking stuff up with questions, that will happen in the MODIFICATION section of these forums. Rubs you the wrong way? Here's a simple yet effective solution: DON'T GO TO THE MODIFICATIONS forum! It rubs me the wrong way when you troll the mods forums complaining about modifications.

Here's a 19 year old wanting to learn how to do something. Asking questions as he does it. Isn't that how everybody learns? Nobody was born with a screwdriver in their hand. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Well, anything except keeping the purists out of the modifications forums.

6. slobzer

slobzer New Member

wow 16ozbud i really appreciate your comment man. thats exactly the way i feel about my project. its more for learning than anything else. i dont really have anyone else to teach me so i have to teach my self. thanks for making it clear to the negative nancys.

ps. the beer tap shift knob wasnt my idea but kudos.. XD

7. wizard

wizard Active Member

I always fancied the rocker shift, heel toe action.

8. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

OK, good luck, i hope it turns out the way you want it to.
    I'm out!

9. slobzer

slobzer New Member

do you have one on your bike?

10. wizard

wizard Active Member

The only rocker on my bikes is me ;o)

11. wizard

wizard Active Member

12. Scizor

Scizor Member

I think I am in the same boat as slobzer. I picked up my bike for almost nothing. I have owned 3 bikes before this one, and have a '08 that I ride most of the time.

When I bought the bike, it ran great, very few cosmetic flaws and there really wasn't any reason for me to tear into it.

I grew up a "city boy". If something was wrong around the house or with a vehicle, we paid someone to fix it.

Once I went to college I met some people who rode and loved motorcycles. I grew to love them as well.... but I didn't know ANYTHING about them.

I bought my 82, rode it for 2 seasons, and the decided I wanted to customize it. Since tearing it apart (save for the motor) I have learned the electrical system, linkage, forks, drive, intake, exhaust, brakes, fluid flow, cabling, controls, etc. Not to mention, how to grind/smooth, run wiring, use body filler, use a HVLP gun, PAINT, and actually turn my ideas into reality (except for the tractor seat which looking at it now was not one of my better moments).

I may ask stupid questions, and generally accept that my knowledge of motorcycles is on a 2nd grade level. I don't view this forum/site as a "quick fix" to any of the problems I have run into, rather it is an AMAZING source of information, heck a lot of the questions I wanted to ask have already been answered. I don't believe that because I know less about a topic that my posts should receive more scrutiny and be dismissed. At one point, everyone on this forum knew nothing about motorcycles.

After that rant, I must thank everyone who has contributed to my posts.... I wouldn't be as far along on my build without your input.

13. slobzer

slobzer New Member

that being said it bring me to a question.

how do i dissemble the rear springs from their housings? and what kind of tool is needed?

14. grinder

grinder Member

cant help on the dismantling shox thing,as i have never done it myself.i'm all for having a go yourself dude,but have you ridden the bike with these new shox on yet? if not i think you should at least do that first.otherwise how will you know how much shorter you want them? or how much shorter you can actually go? if they are a softer shok than the standard ones,they will compress more when you sit aboard,and will have the effect of a shorter one,but if you've already cut chunks out of them,it may render them useless if the whole lot decks out and your rear tyre decides to get much friendlier with the crack or your arse.
    i dont know what other peoples opinions are on this,but i think it would be easier/better to move the top mount to make the bike sit lower.that way you arent affecting how the shox work.
    good luck with it all dude.hope it all goes well.

15. slobzer

slobzer New Member

thanks ill defanitly try out the new springs before i cut them, im not the kind of person to rush into things, its a good reminder for me though to not get ahead of my self.

again if anyone knows how to take the rear shocks out of the housing. id like to know. also the tools needed.

16. stevestrom

stevestrom Member

Well, automotive shocks do have a specific 'range of operation' that they work in; I would think that motorcycle shocks work in the same way. I know that bike shocks are adjustable to a degree, but I would be afraid that you would be bottoming out the shock if you take too much off the spring. Sure would suck when your bike turned into a hardtail half way through the springs compression. The spring and shock are designed to work as a unit. If you wanted shorter shocks you should have measured first and bought shorter shocks.

17. slobzer

slobzer New Member

they were $20 and i still have the stock springs so i might as well try it, i wasnt planning on taking them down too much just a coil or 2.

does anyone know what tool to use do dismount a spring for the housing? is it a wrench type thing or a spring compressor type thing?

18. grinder

grinder Member

not all shocks are re-buildable,some are a sealed unit,therefore you may not actually b able to split them.i would guess re-buildable ones would need a spring compressor,and then unscrew from the top and/or bottom.there has been posts on here where someone has shortened their shocks.it may be worth checking them out,and maybe pm'ing the author to get some idea of how much you should or shouldnt cut out.and whether you have to add anything to the cut part of the spring.

19. slobzer

slobzer New Member

cool ill search for that post