1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cheap bobber speedo ideas

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ifonly2005, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

just tore apart my 80 maxim speedo assy. getting rid of the tach. figured i would make a new housing for the single speedo and remount. little harder than i thought it was going to be. question was if anyone had any ideas, or if there was a way to figure out what "cheap" aftermarket one would work, as Im figuring the speed to rpm (which im not sure of) would have to be known to make the speedo accurate. i was going to cut the stock plastic housing but im not sure the hack job would look all that pleasing at the end.

2. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

jc whitney...$40 bucks and small too!

3. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Or just get one off ebay from an older bike. The Hondas, Suzuki, kawaski or Yamaha speedos will all work on our bikes. I'm running one from an older CB350 Honda and it's more accurate than the original Yamaha speedo.

4. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

i appreciate it. i was trying to find one that was round that had the lights built into it without spending 100 bucks. that way i dont have to re route the ugly 4 bulb center piece.

5. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

no such luck on either site.. but thank you for the advice. ill keep hunting

6. XJNEWFIE

XJNEWFIE Member

keep us posted if you find anything. I'm looking for the same thing, and if I find anything cheap, I'll post here to let you know.

7. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

i found a few on mikesxs for like 50 to $100.... but Id really like the built in high beam, and neutral. everything i find and get excited for ends up being electric speedo... so no cable.

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

cheap and small - easy to mount - digital accuracy -

Get a $20 bicycle speedo and set the calibration to your tire.

9. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

im thinking to take the time to calibrate, Ill probably just get one online but thanks... stupid question though... mechanical drive does mean cable right? if so, MIKESxs has one for $65 plus shipping thats EXACTLY what I need. part #03-0744. if you google it, itll come up with the pic for mikesxs and partsnmore. both sell for $65... so I guess Id just have to see if ones got cheaper s&h.

10. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

SO...... really stupid question here.... is mechanical operated and cable driven the same thing? I would think so... but it throws me off because some say mechanical speedometer, and others are (cable driven) I really want this speedo that i posted before, but they show NO pictures of the back of it

11. dartmanx5

dartmanx5 New Member

Yes, same thing. Mikesxs has a 2" mini-speedo that works great, $40. Or get on ebay and find a stock speedo off of a Yamaha XS, TX, DT or IT series bike. I used the stock speedo on my XS400 bobber, got the HB indicator (even though I only have one light setting) it worked great.

12. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

ok... well im going to go ahead and take your word for it. lol. i see ALOT of wires on the one i like, but it also has all 4 lights inside of it, plus the light to light it up. im going to guess it has a cable spot on the back

13. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

14. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

i need the trip meter too though. i have no fuel gauge on my bike and go by mialage. i know i could remember what i started with on odometer, but cmon.. lol... how much do we really think when we are in the wind? did you check out the one i want to get... as long as its setup for cable. part # 03-0744 off of mikesxs or partsnmore

15. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

the mikesxs.com one is nice too...they all use the same cable...wiring however will be different. Not sure why there is no trip meter in the picture. That is where I got mine from and it had trip on it...weird.

16. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

or I guess it didn't, oops.
    [​IMG]