1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Artie's Custom 400 True Hard Tail Bobber...

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by BAREfoot, Aug 22, 2010.

1. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

Re: Artie's 82' XJ 400 bobber project...research then build...

wicked..thanks man.. yeah i talked to my buddy who's probably gonna make the axle plates for me... but that'll happen in a bit... do you have a build going on here somewhere?.. wouldn't mind see'n what you're planning to do to hard tail it...

2. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

I've finally got time to work on my bike again...wiring, carbs, valves I wanna do first i think... Maybe work on my hard tail too..

I want to do a simple wiring for this thing... just wondering what i need for it parts wise (Chacal what do I need to order?) what guage of wiring is typical?

I'm also going to take my carbs off and clean them.. I think there was a post up about how to rebuild them..anyone know the link? Anything i should be careful with when taking them apart?

3. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

look for my posts. I have simple wired a few 400's. Use all stock wires except for the starter and battery I used 10GA from an amp wiring kit. Also you can use a tiny gel battery if you dump all the worthless junk too!!!

4. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

do i need to change any of the fuse box and stuff to make it simple?

5. dubyaohohdee

dubyaohohdee Member

More tank Updates?

6. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

it'll be up soon... i'm just in the process of still painting it.. it's been in my art studio all winter try'n to keep the rust away..haha.. i'll have it done this month...

7. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

why are you doing a hardtail the hard way? Just cut off the subframe and put some square tubing in where the shock was and voila' you are done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that is not my bike, just an example of what to do

8. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

also if you still have the airbox PM me. I want part of it...got a sawzall?

9. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

cuz i want a real hard tail.haha.. you'll be pretty impressed with my axle plates too...

and it's not hard... just takes more time... i'm sure there'll be more guys on here with 400's wanting to do it my way when they see what I come up with... picked up some gas for my welder yesterday..so i'm in business lol...

10. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

yeah i do have one... i'll sell everything off when i'm done in a month or so...

11. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

So it's been a little cold here.. -10 degrees C or for those in the US about 14 degrees F...so you can see why nothin's been really happening... the garage is cold as heck... but i managed to do some Mod'n...

next on the list is making a jig for the axle... but ran into a snag.. the welder i've got wont plug into my 220 outlet..so i gotta figure out some electical wiring this week...

anyway here are some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mikehunt

mikehunt New Member

awesome job dude!!

13. aharon

aharon Member

Dude, I am just loving this thread, thanks for posting! I have recently bought my XJ400 - it's 1992, four cyl and kind of a "white fly" - yu don't see many around (link to thread below my signature).
    What caught my attention in the picture was the bike wooden stand you are working on. I am 56, not the sporting kind so my back kills me after half an hour working on my rebuild. Did you do this stand yourself? If so, got the plans?
    "Modern" (90's) XJs have a totally different frame, with two curved pipes going around the fuel tank. I am considering replacing them with a single steel backbone, using a harley sportster tank and lowering its ass a little.
    First thing though is to get her motor running again. Lucky me, shims are on their way right now.
    Ride on!
    Aharon, from sunny Israel

14. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

Hey Aharon,
    thanks for the comment... I haven't seen very many 400's with anything spectacular done to them...so i wanted to challenge that... everyone just "hardtails" it buy replacing the mono shock with square tubing and that's it.. nothing special... i've got a few awesome plans for this baby...

It's my FIRST bike and my FIRST build.. i have very little experience in building anything..so it's going to be a bit of a challenge..especially putting it all back together... but i'm sure it's going to be amazing!

as for the stand.. i build it myself with no plans... super easy to build..all you need :
    9 - 2"x4"s
    1- sheet of plywod (got home depot to cut it in half for me) so it's 2'x8 feet
    16 - bolts,(2 washers per bolt) and nuts
    6 - castor wheels (each rated for 100lbs) if you buy all of them that swivel you should make sure they have locks on them.
    4 eye hooks
    and about 100- 3 1/2" screws should do it..

Here's a better pic so you can see how i braced it on the bottom.. same goes for the top...

[​IMG]

I made it easy for cutting and measuring...

length is 8 feet - no cutting... 4 of them
    height of each leg is 2 feet - 8 all together (bolt these)
    cross braces - 10 of them all together (screw these in)

the braces underneath were a bit shorter since you have to take into consideration the width of the long 2x4's ..

I haven't built the ramp to get the bike down for it yet.. but when i need to i will...

it definitely saves the back... it'll help me weld those awkward spots too.. the best part is.. i can wheel it around when i need to park my jeep inside or closer to my outlets of further away if i'm cutting stuff.. and it cost me about $40 bucks to build..

I've read your thred... lots of work i see... I was fortunate enough that mine was working great... we'll see how it runs when i get it all back together... i've got to clean the carbs and sync the valves too..so i'm definitely relying on the guys on here to help since my experience in this is like i said..very limited!... but it's a learning experience and i'll be so pround when it's all done and i get to show it off!

good luck!

15. aharon

aharon Member

BareFoot, you're a hero!
    Amazing how the attitude of everybody here is so straightforward, humble, friendly, patient, generous.
    I will build myself a stand now that I know how to.
    I guess you saw how the frame "embraces" the tank from underneat in the "newer" XJs... straight, single steel backbone it will be!
    Thanks man - and once again, congrats on your project.
    Ride on!
    Aharon, from sunny Israel

16. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

Woo Hoo!! I've now got power!... to weld i should say.. hooked up a new jack and breaker for my MIG... so should be good to go for the weekend.. gonna build my jig this weekend... got my axle plates come'n... just need some DOM tubing and make history... the frame is retarded... so i'm going to have to cut even more off... it's basically gonna need to be revamped completely... but it's gonna be awesome.. that is the plan for the next couple weeks... then i'll need a lot of help put'n it back together...

and to figure out how to extend my brakes and stuff to accomodate the stretch...

i'll be posting pics of progress when i get a chance...

to be continued...

17. tfish400

tfish400 Member

I did a complete hardtail on my 400 maxim. if you want, i'll post pics. it's just the frame right now, but you'll get the idea

18. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

yeah man please do.. i've been looking through a million pics for one... nothng really that i like...

19. BAREfoot

BAREfoot Member

hey..
    do you have a 400j (xj) or an xs400.. in the bottom on your signature you've got your bike as an xs... they're different...

mine's got a mono shock and the xs has dual suspension in the rear.. plus the frame is a lot easier to build off of on an xs..

either way post up some pics... you got a thread somewhere?
    would love to see the progress man!

20. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

actually BAREfoot, you have an XS400J if it is a maxim or XS400R if it is a seca XJ400's are 4-bangers