1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Should I fix or get rid of her?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ryanismyname, Feb 7, 2011.

1. ryanismyname

ryanismyname Member

Long story short, my Seca is F'ed. She was in ok shape when I bought her, but the PO installed pods and royally screwed up the carbs. I rebuilt them, but could never adjust the floats correctly because the brass drain screws were all bunged up. After a few seat-of-the-pants adjustments, the carbs are still out of whack, with half of them rich and the other half lean.

There was also two theft attempts on her, leaving the left turn signal smashed, bar clamps bent, and the headlight/instrument panel bent.

I would like to know if it's in my best financial interest to fix her up. I'm currently applying to grad school and money is real tight. In summation, she needs:

-new bar clamps
    -headlight and instruments replaced/fixed (do not have to be stock)
    -new brass for carbs, and possibly new jets

What kind of cost am I looking at for this? Keep in mind that I am not a purist and do not require all original or Yamaha parts.

Thanks for your help.

2. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

i say fix her... youll graduate grad school, have a bunch of money.... but youll always kick yourself in the pants for losing your first love. ebay is great sometimes, and not others. check to see if your area has any local salvage yards for bikes... and STAY ON HERE!!!! these people are AMAZING and itll save you soooo much anger, frustration, and probably money.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You don't need "genuine Yamaha" parts but you do need correct parts.

That's why we have chacal.

And eBay. Two very necessary ingredients in doing this without going broke.

What Seca? 550, 650, 750? Lots of members have "extry" stuff laying about; if you like the bike just fix it. None of those items sound too major except the carbs and I bet they'll be easier to solve than you think.

Details, lad, details. If you like the bike, keep it and let's figure out what she needs.

4. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

woah... whats chacal???? im googling it now!!! see buddy, youll learn something new on here every day!!! I dont personally know a soul on here.... but i love you all!!

5. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Chacal is XJ4Ever see ad in upper right.... You need parts he has them.

Ryan, if you decide to get rid of her I'll give her a good home for the right price.

You want it fixed I can probably help with that too.

6. ryanismyname

ryanismyname Member

Sorry, always forget to add that info. She's a 83? Seca 750.

As for my feelings, well considering when she was made, shes a good bike. The electronics and switches are far inferior to Honda of the same period, but its a great little engine with a lovely whine. And ever since I installed the Honda CBR MC , much more fun to ride in the city.

7. bigfitz52

But... are you in love?

8. ryanismyname

ryanismyname Member

As my high school shop teacher said, "Date a fat girl: she'll never leave you."

I don't LOVE the bike, but she's all I've got right now. I'd LOVE to have a Guzzi but that isn't going to happen for a few years. I'd rather have my Yamaha than nothing, and can't really afford anything else right now, so I guess I'm trying to say that I 'like' like her.

I was watching Max Max while eating dinner and seeing all the psychos having fun of their 80s bikes really made me miss riding.

9. bobberaha

bobberaha Member

Fix it just look around you can find parts fairly cheap if you keep your eyes open.

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You might be able to get yourself a pretty good deal on the parts you need if you visit a Motorcycle Salvage Place and so-up with a list and some cash.

Don't expect to get a deal on carbs.

You have to work at making yourself a Rack of Carbs.
    You might have to buy a couple of Parts Carbs and fashion yourself a complete rack out of yours and a Parts Carbs or two.

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Fix her up. That's what we all did/do.

Dave

12. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Watch ebay for the carbs. Find out if the carbs interchange to other models/years.

I paid less than $40.00 delivered for xj650 carbs for my '81. Be a little patient and you can find the price.

Loren

13. bigfitz52

Good advice; I got two spare racks from eBay, less than $50 for one and I think about $23 for the other. All 8 diaphragms good, no broken float posts or anything.

14. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

An alternative way to adjust your floats "wet" -

cut down a clear plastic sports/water bottle, use as a clear, temporary float bowl. Set the gas level 3MM down from the top, and be able to see what you're doing.

Mastering the carb repair/polishing/tuning is a rite-of-passage around here.