1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Handlebars 7/8 for 85 maxim X ... i want something a change

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by zigzagzack, Mar 11, 2010.

1. zigzagzack

zigzagzack Member

Ok, I am doing some minor (for now) mods to my 85Maxim X 750, I think, by my measurement, my handle bars are a 3"rise, 7" pullback, and 29" width, I plan to cut my seat down a bit, and may lower the bike, but don't want to reach ... a lot, i want to sit back and GO!
    any suggestions or pics of handlebars that will work would be great,
    I found some on jcwhitney but only the nighthawk and ldt have a greater than 7" pull back.

Z

2. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Re: Handlebars 7/8 for 85 maxim X ... i want something a cha

Find a pair of handlebars from an older Goldwing. They have 10' Rise so you can reach them easier if tilted back a bit. I have them on my bobber on 4" risers,so they are like having mini apes on (maybe too high for you) So they are even with my shoulders with my arms straight out. Very comfortable for me on long rides.

[​IMG]

3. zigzagzack

zigzagzack Member

Sounds good 10" rise with some more pull back, might do with out the risers ... might just work

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Yes without the risers they are about perfect for you. You should be able to get the reach right with that much to work with. I got mine off a smashed up one at the local salvage yard for $5. You be surprised what you find if you look long enough.

5. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

I've got a set of those GW bars if you are interested...the middle bars
    [​IMG]

6. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Those are mine in the middle. The picture makes them look wider without the controls on them.

7. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

PD your bike is sweet, I like them bars a lot, did you make your cables longer, and do you have a close up of the risers?

8. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

my 85 maxim x risers are built in the triple tree. im going to use a 91 virago upper tree its about 2.5 inches taller and the risers are replaceable here is what they look like

9. bambam629

bambam629 New Member

check out sportingforless.com they have some cool bars and decent pricing

10. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Streetbrawler,
    The brake cable (to the stupid Seca master cylinder) is actually a shorter front cable for a Yamaha dirt bike (so the ends were the right ones)
    I went to the Dennis Kirk catolog store with the measurement I needed and between the sales rep and me, we figured out what I needed by going thru the computer at the store (which has the cable lengths because the catalog doesn't)
    The throttle cable was another issue. I ended up with one from the Dennis Kirk Scratch & Dent store that just happened to be about 4" longer than stock, so it works perfect.
    Surprisingly the wiring ended up being just long enough by moving a few things around and running it behind the forks also.
    I figured I'd just go the cheap route (with used bars) and make up the difference with the length of the risers to get the reach I needed. I just welded the tops of old steel risers to some heavy 1" tubing, with nuts inside the bottom of the tubing to bolt to the tree from underneath. They ended up being 4" tall. I just painted them black to match everything else.

11. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

So the Virago top clamp bolts straight on the Maxim trees? Lines up perfect yes??

12. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Another idea is instead of changing the top of the tree (if the risers are part of it) you an get the short dogbone risers (cheap on Ebay) that mount with a short bar and mount the new bars on top of those. That way you have two points of adjustment and can get the bars exactly where you want them.

13. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

everything on the virago triple tree looks the same as far as i can tell the fork tubes are the same the fender fork brace ect all bolt right on. Before i try it i have to put carbs back on 1 of my viragos . i want to get the tank off before i start dont want to take a chance of scratching it or denting it .once i get it on the lift and find out for sure it fits will have to sit there till i get new bars .
    i want to check out those dog bone risers never seen them also. looked at them they would work but getting alout of parts plus having to chop up a set of bars i just wonder all the leverage .kinda scares me a bit even tho it probbibly wouldnt happen emergancy stop situation. If they did slip would be a scary thought

14. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Not to worry about them slipping if tightened properly. If that were an issue, I wouldn't have put higher handlebars on my bike. What do you think they do with 16" ape hangers on? It's not a dirt bike. The universal risers with the pivot bar been around since forever and work very well for various applications. I've had them on several of my bikes and never had them slip or move in any direction. Keep'm tight.

15. Mackey

Mackey New Member

dwcopple- What is the top set of bars there? I am trying to find a set with less pull back than my current stock (86 Maxim X XJ700XN). The current rise doesn't bother me, but I'd like to move them out just a bit- a little more pullback angle than I am comfortable with.

If anyone else has any thoughts that have worked well, just let me know. I'll keep searching some of the other threads here, I'm sure there are many, just haven't found them yet.

16. Mackey

Mackey New Member

Bump of the year.... anyone have any suggestions for an 86 Maxim X handlebar swap? I'm looking to lessen the overall profile of my handlebars... can live with less pull back, definitely want to lessen the rise substantially, etc. Basically on the spectrum between the stock bars and drag bars, I want to be about 75% of the way toward drag bars.

I haven't had much luck with searching- just wondering if anyone has swapped out their bars with something a little lower profile, and if they have any pics.

Thanks much!

17. bluemax

bluemax Member

I was considering these does anyone know what stock configuration is as far as rise and pull back?

End to End length: 29 in.
    Pullback: 3 in.
    Rise: 4 in.
    Sides: 7 in.
    Center: 7 in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260820555875?ss ... 1423.l2649

[​IMG]

[​IMG]