1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pics of my project FINALLY!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by thorin, Mar 2, 2011.

1. thorin

thorin Member

hey all,
    with BAREfoot's post, i've finally figured out how to post pics. you may or may not thank him for the advice when you see my bike ;)
    anyways....i've been having a blast stripping parts off the bike, then adding junk yard parts to make it my own creation.
    drag bars, round headlight, wrapped headers, removed mufflers (will replace with custom), changed seat, cut the frame, removed paint from tank (industrial look?), different rear springs......you get the idea.
    quite a few folks have shown better results on this forum than me but hey, i'm having a blast and have minimal financial investment.
    appreciate comments or criticisms.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BillB

BillB Active Member

3. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Don't know your physical specs, but that looks like a stretch between the bars and your butt. Maybe move the seat froward a bit so that it makes the line between the tank and seat flow, then "Bob" the rear fender so that it only sticks out a few inches behind the seat. I think it would give the bike a cleaner look from the tank back.
    How much clearance do you have between the top of the rear tire and the lowest part of the fender? In the second picture it looks like there is some bracketry that may come down low enough to come in contact on a decent sized bounce.
    Have you clear coated the tank? If not it's going to start looking nasty real soon.

4. schooter

schooter Active Member

that seat made me throw up

5. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Ya that seat is over the top. The rest looks good however. Keep us posted.

6. grinder

grinder Member

lookin good,tho personally i think the seat/tank and rear fender look kinda too big,tho i think if you change or at least cut down the seat,trim the fender back a bit,and maybe trim the sides of the fender up it would look bettererererer.ive seen other bikes like this with the same tank but not looking so big,so i think the other changes must alter my perception of it somehow? babbling now so i'll get my coat. :wink:

7. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

reflectors=gone
    seat=shave it and re-wrap it
    gauges=lose 'em
    frame rail cuts=clean 'em up
    sidecovers=fab some ASAP
    mufflers=buy some

8. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

The seat may not look great, but if you were gonna spend all day on it I bet you'd change your mind, kinda reminds me of one of those old early 40's Harley saddles, just bigger and more comfortable looking:
    [​IMG]

9. thorin

thorin Member

great feedback guys. i especially like schooter's, no pulling punches there!
    the seat DOES look better snugged up to the tank but my fit on the bike is better where the seat is in the pic. i look/feel a bit cramped with the seat all the way up. i'm still looking for a solution to fill the gap if i leave it where it is.
    the tank is stock, just scrubbed free of paint. bare metal holds up well here in colorado due to dry climate but if i do keep it bare, i'll clear it. i'm currently stripping the fender as well for a similar look and have sheet metal already cut for side covers. i'm thinking about adding large mesh screen over the bare metal for a different look.
    i DO want to trim the fender but don't want a stripe up my back. not sure how i'll resolve that.
    gauges? i'll probably change to speedo w/lights only. just haven't gotten around to it and i do like the info provided on the original setup.
    rear frame rails will get some treatment as i'm thinking about adding a removable grill/shelf for light duty storage on longer trips.
    i know the seat is "polarizing" but as maxim-x mentioned, it's really comfy! not sure what it's from but for $20, it sure is comfy! i wonder if it makes my ass look big?
    thanks again guys for your comments. i've been looking at some of these changes for months so maybe i've gotten used to looking at something that's really crappy!

10. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I think the seat looks odd because it is mounted at the wrong angle - it should be flat at the bottom. If you moved it closer to the tank and higher in the air (similar to the photo in Maxim-X's post) you would gain legroom, have the seat at a better angle (you definitely do not want to be sliding into the tank), and have more of a "brat"/old-school look.

As far as the rear fender, you can shorten the leading edge (much easier to do than the trailing edge) and rotate it a little more which would move the tail closer to the seat but still provide full coverage in front.

11. thorin

thorin Member

yeah, after all the verbal abuse i've received about the seat (kidding!), i've decided to trim it. after removing the cover, i can trim the foam (sides and rear), add length to the nose (to close the gap), and re-fit either old cover material or use new stuff.
    you're right about the rear fender, i figure if i just cut the leading edge, rotate it forward, i'll have a shorter, compact look.
    hopefully get some time this weekend to at least work on the fender.
    thanks.

12. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I say - if the seat fits you well and you can ride it for hours on end, then pay no attention to anyone else's opinion and ride on (i.e., don't be a "follow-the-crowd" poseur).

I'm currently working on an ergonomic hypothesis for proper seat placement where the center of the seat should be just a little bit behind the centerline of the foot pegs and the seat height is equal to your pants inseam measurement. The hypothesis is that this combo will give you best seating position for bike control and long-term comfort while still facilitating balance at a stop. Try mocking-up your seat with these two dimensions and see how it feels to you (and don't be surprised if you also need to change your handlebar positioning).

13. slobzer

slobzer New Member

what did those shocks come off of?

14. thorin

thorin Member

i have no idea. they were in a box with hundreds of other shocks at the junkyard. i was looking for a shock that was a bit shorter than stock. so far, they ride just fine. i didn't like the gold coloring on the shock ends but now it's growing on me. i'll probably end up painting 'em black at some point.

15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

shocks loo like they're from a virago.

dave

16. 2sluggos

2sluggos Member

I like the headlight. That's it though. Is it original?

17. thorin

thorin Member

the headlight was removed from a vetter fairing. 8.5" diameter and mounted up to original brackets and wiring just fine. still working on a way to hide all the wiring/cables that used to be inside the original bucket.
    i have cut up the rear fender so much trying to get the fit/look i want that it's functionality is now in question. i'm gonna head out to the salvage yard today and see if i can find another fender to work with.
    i also snugged up the seat to the tank and find that the fit is fine. i think i was a bit stretched out on the bike before (as someone noted.
    thanks.