1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

about to go on a cross country trip!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by apsolus, Mar 1, 2011.

1. apsolus

apsolus Member

gonna be taking my 83 maxim 750. i know im gonna need a few spare parts like a starter etc, but what do you guys think i should do to prepare my bike for the trip? i know im putting a windscreen and saddle bags on it

2. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

After market hiway pegs so you can move your legs around and give your knees a break. Pack the back of the bike so that the softest object you are packing pushes you forward a little, after a few hours it will settle back into a comfortable back support and take the strain off your back, arms and hands. Always pack a few extra bungees of different sizes, they don't take up much room and you'll have them if something lets go during the ride. Or, you can be a good samaritan and help someone else out that may need one.
    Small roll of mechanics wire and safety wire pliers or regular pliers. To save space get one of those multi wrenches that have up to 8 socket sizes and adapts to take driver bits. Here's a link to one from Lowes's. Don't know what the quality is though:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_74025-25428-855 ... Id=3272271
    [​IMG]

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Apsolus,

Pass on that "multi socket" tool from Lowes, I've used it and it's a
    POS. Typical crappy tool that thinks a 1/2" = 13mm, 9/16"=14mm and so on. Basically, a tool like that will only ruin your heads. There might be a place for it but I was very disappointed when I used it after receiving it as a gift at Christmas.

I've gone on many trips over 1000 miles and I've got it down to a pretty short list. The biggest thing it to properly prepare your bike for comfort. I pulled my seat cover and added padding for comfort and then fabbed a set of highway pegs since none were available aftermarket for my Vstrom. I need to be able to straighten my knees after a couple of hours and they are perfect for me. I also take my music player with a couple extra batteries in my vest pocket. That way it's easy to get to and I can put it away when I stop to fill the tank or eat.

Do what Max told you about over packing the space behind you to provide some support, I pack my sleeping bag in front of my topcase to lean back against. I wrap it in a heavy duty trash bag to keep it dry and wrap the bag tight before lashing it so it doesn't flutter. Pack a small set of good quality tools but you don't need to take every tool that you own, I take 4 screwdrivers, a 8,9,10,2-12's,13,14 sockets with a 3/8" drive along with 2-3", 1-6" extensions, 2-3/8" universals, 8" crescent, combo-open end wrenches 10-12 7 14-15mm, head mtd flashlight with a piece of paper between the batteries and bulb to prevent it turning on, I also have a wind-up light, a mini compressor, tire plug kit, electrical tape, a few windings of tie-wire. They all fit in a freezer bag to stay dry and clean. Also maps go in a freezer bag and stay within reach. I’ve also mounted (homemade mount--free) a very good radar detector and it paid for itself on my very first trip, multiple times!! When entering a state where they aren't legal, take it off and place it out of sight, if the police see it, they may take it or worse, ask you to destroy it(rumors abound of this happening) Cash, cell and credit cards go a long way to providing peace of mind, RAIN SUIT and be sure to pack it on the very top so you can get it fast!

Lastly, have someone at home to help in case you need it. A couple years ago I had my sweetheart giving my up to the minute weather reports on three different storms producing tornados that were moving in three different directions. I was able to skirt them all and remain safe and dry. I don't think I'd have been able to do that without her sitting at the computer and reading the radar maps while I recalculated my route on a the road maps. It was also an adventure! I do not use a GPS but there are those that swear by them. I have a sneaky suspicion that they can't read maps but they do provide more then a route by showing attractions and things. For me, I enjoy the adventure of the unknown and knowing that when I see a gas station in a sparsely populated section of the country, FILL MY TANK!!

Enjoy your trip!

jeff

4. apsolus

apsolus Member

right on thanks you guys,

5. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I use a GPS when traveling and keep a fully charged cell phone with me also. Of course not everyone has all the latest electronics at their disposal, but atleast bring a cell phone if at all possible. It can be a life saver.
    Extra parts may be something to consider, but if you think you need an extra starter, you should maybe do some preventive maintenance to the one you already have on the bike.
    I think it's more important to make sure the tires are up to the task before anything else (tire pressure and thread depth, condition of the rubber, etc.)
    I like the idea of the back support also. On the last long trip I took, I mounted my luggage rack bag on the seat behind me to lean back against while riding. Now that was the best idea I ever had. It's like sitting in a chair and made the trip that much more enjoyable. Try it.
    My lastest creation (I copied from an existing idea) was to make my own Bikers Friend roll bag to mount to the backseat of the bike. I made it ridged inside by using a plastic cylinder so it can't colapse when empty. Then I made a backrest pad that uses Velcro to attach it to the bag. It works perfect.

Here's what it looks like:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/PainterD/007.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/PainterD/005.jpg

6. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned this idea on another "Trip" thread, go to your local gun shop and pick up a bag of "Bird Shot". Seal the passenger end on the bar and carefully fill the bar with the shot, when it's full seal the throttle end and put your throttle assembly back on. Now go get a nice set of foam or gel grips and depending on your budget put a throttle lock or one of those wrist rests. You may have to loosen or take the bars off depending on the bike.
    The shot helps absorb vibration and so do the grips, and the lock is great if only to give your hand a rest for a short while.

7. mikeames

mikeames Member

Most of the tools and parts I carry on the bike are results of things I've done to the bike...meaning when I do maintenance using tools....I ask my self if I should include any of those in my on bike kit....I also ask questions like can I replace these two tools with one that will perform both functions. Weight is always something you want to avoid adding to any bike.
    Also, I do all my own mechanic work...if you don't or can't do that then you shouldn't take a long trip without enough cash to handle things like tow trucks and local bike shops. Make sense?
    As I've done work on the bike I've replaced many of the various screws with stainless allen head screws....so I carry a ball-end allen wrench for every screw head size on my bike. When ever I add something or swap out screws I make sure I have that size allen wrench in my kit.
    I don't carry a lot of parts as proper maintenance should keep you from needing to carry much...but think of things that would make your trip really miserable if they failed... I carry a spare clutch cable coiled up in the bottom of my tank bag for instance. Of course I keep my cables cleaned an lubed, but if you lose a clutch cable on a 30 year old bike on a long ride you could play hell finding another...and they do just break on occasion.
    Carrying a printed wiring diagram and maybe some written procedures and/or tolerances for things you might commonly need to do is not a bad idea.
    I think being prepared on a long trip, or a short one for that matter means really knowing your bike inside and out. Spend time sitting there looking over every little detail on the bike. Lay down on the floor and look up at the underside too. I often spend a few minutes just sitting out in the garage looking things over and have found many little problems this way...before they've become big ones.

8. workingonit

workingonit Member

add JB weld, superglue, electrical tape, small piece of telfon tape(add to stripped threads), masterlinks for chain,
    (I took a extra chain on my trip) throttle cable, clutch cable extra bulb for headlamp (better yet replace them before you go)
    Add a 12v Cigarette adapter and get a USB plug for it and you can charge all your cell phone, ipod, carmera ect. I also made jumper cables about 6' long that fit the 12v plug. Find a place to put a extra key in case you lose it. Make sure that you can get to it without anyother keys or tools.
    You will need a throttle control to lock the throttle (this is a big help) and highway pegs. I did the same thing with a duffle bag on the back seat to lean against. I bought a tool bag for the front forks that way I could get to things when I needed them also adds some weight to the front if you are taking alot of gear. Put the heaviest objects as low in your bags and the light stuff tied to the top.
    I did this from New York to strugis. made it to SD in 3 days and spent 3 weeks traveling.
    P.S. I had tools and glue/tape that fixed 2 HARLEYS LOL