1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Instrument cluster

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by seedyrom, Feb 7, 2007.

1. seedyrom

seedyrom Member

I went out to the bike today do one simple thing. I figured it would take maybe an hour. Wrong!

Those black brackets that hold the instrument cluster to the frame for the headlight bucket were faded and rusted and I was tired of looking at them. I was going to take them off and paint them. Well the first one unbolted fine. The second bolt immediately broke off. So now I have to start taking things apart so I can even SEE where the bolt broke off.

I took off the cluster, the headlight itself and eventually got out the frame that the headlight bucket mounts to. The bolt is still in this frame about 3/4 of an inch and rusted to hell. It's going to have to be drilled out. Friday, when I get my drill back from my buddy that I loaned it to, I can drill the bolt out and worry about it then.

In the meantime, since I had all this torn apart and the cluster completely off I decided to get out that little tiny dried up spider that has been in the tach since I bought the bike. I took pictures of taking it apart but each and every one of them disappeared when the camera battery died. So I took pictures of cleaning it up and putting it back together. They are in my gallery if anyone wants to look.

I ordered new LED replacement bulbs for all 6 of them in the cluster from superbrightleds.com. Someone had previously showed a picture of the LED bulbs that they had replaced in their cluster but had indicated that they were BA9 bulbs and I had almost ordered some a few months ago. I'm glad I didn't because mine are the 194 wedge type bulbs.

I'll I can do now is sit, drink beer, relax and wait. :D

2. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Have you ever tried a left handed drill bit?

The rusted bolt will heat up from the friction and the penetrating oil soaking in usually helps too.
    The left hand rotation just seems to spin those bolts right out, no easyout or nothing......... sometimes.......if your lucky.

Good Luck

3. seedyrom

seedyrom Member

Haven't tried one yet. Right now I've got the thing soaking in about 1 inch of WD-40. I'll let it soak until Friday and plan my next move. You have a link to these bits or are they common in the hardware stores? Thanks!

4. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I've gotten them in finer automotive parts store and some hardware stores have them definatly a machinest supply store

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Seedy, tell us which LED bulbs (part number?) that you ordered and how well you like them once you put some juice to it. Did you also order any guage illumination or turn signal LED's?

6. seedyrom

seedyrom Member

Chacal,

Yes, I ordered one of each of the single LED yellow, blue, green and red. I also ordered 2 of the white gauge bulbs but I ordered the 4 LED bulbs for those. I originally had a before picture but it was lost.

I will take a picture of the bulbs when I receive them and my impressions and exactly what I ordered.

Currently, my turn signal bulbs are conventional. However, I did convert my brake lights to LED this past summer. Pictures of them are in my gallery.

7. chacal

Hey seedy, thanks for the update. Let us know how the 194 wedge bulbs work for you in the instrument cluster, both for the colored indicator warning lights and for the main gauge illumination.

Also, a question on the rear tail/brake light 3W LED bulbs: I think you've added an extra set of LED's below your stock tail/brake light unit? My question is that WITHOUT that extra light bar, how do you like the 3W tail/brake light bulb(s) in comparison to the stock 1157 tail/brake lights? I know you have a comparison shot but it's hard to tell-----if you had ONLY replaced the stock tail/brake light bulbs with the 3W LED's, and had not added the extra light bar, would you be comfortable with the brightness of the 3W LED's (and their range of view)?

I'm sorta stuck between getting the 1.85" cluster LED's for the tail/brake lights versus these 3W LED's. I'm not considering an extra light bar, just the stock housing. Others have said that the 1.85" LED clusters are pretty bright and have wide visibility. That's why I want your thoughts based on just the 3W LED's. I'd order some of each and experiment, but they are pricey little boogers!

Also, it's probably too late now for you (?), but I've read that the white LED's that you used for the gauge illumination contain alot of UV light in them, and gently painting your speedo and tach needles with flourescent orange paint really makes them "come alive" at night.....

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

4 led's
    i put one of these in with the 1157 on the brake light side and it gives the brake light a nice kick for a little more juice
    and it's 1.99
    turn signals are next

9. seedyrom

seedyrom Member

Chacal,

It's not too late yet and I have thought about painting the needles. I still have a couple of days to decide. I'm leaning toward doing it.

I added an extra set of LED lights that are always on, they aren't really brake lights. The 3w LEDs that I used are bright enough that I feel comfortable with them. Keep in mind that none of those pictures in my gallery are with the brake on; with the brake on they are twice as bright at least.

I have no doubt that they are brighter than the conventional bulbs from the rear but the light is more concentrated. From the side I'd say they are maybe the same, if not only a bit less. One thing you will notice in a side by side test is how the LED bulbs instantly pop on while the conventional bulb beside it sort of lights up over time.

I have an extra 3w 1157 LED the same as I used in my brakes of you want to do a side-by-side for yourself. I'd love to have a second opinion on it. I was going to Free Friday it but PM me your address and I'll ship it you if you are in the USA. You gotta post your opinions about the brightness though, good or bad.

10. chacal

Hey seedy, you got mail, thanks!

Also, does anyone know what the stock wattage/usage of the factory headlight is on an XJ650? Low and high beams? Thanks.....

11. Robert

Robert Active Member

XJ650 G, H, LH, and J, 40/50 watts.
    XJ650 RJ and UK models, 55/60 watts.
    So says the Haynes manual, 'n I believe 'em.
    I'd convert to a halogen 55/60 in a heartbeat. $10 well spent (provided you haven't the sealed beam, in which case $35).

12. seedyrom

seedyrom Member

Here's a follow-up on how this turned out...

I never did get the old bolt out. I bought a little kit for just this sort of thing but the old stuck bolt eventually just ate it until it was worthless. I ended up drilling it out and making new threads.

On a better note, the LEDs came today and even though it was 27f all day and a helluva wind, I was determined to try to finish this 'hour long' project.

The 4 center indicator bulbs are just about the same brightness as the conventional ones, which is fine and worked out great. The 2 bulbs I ordered to replace the gauge lights are the 4LED type and put out more light. It makes the speedo and the tach a LOT brighter.

The 4 center LED bulbs were cheaper than the 4LED gauge bulbs I bought. The total cost with shipping was just under $15. The biggest part of the cost was $5 shipping and the gauge bulbs, so it only costs about $4 more to replace the 4 center ones while you are in there.

The instrument cluster folder in my gallery has the new pics in it. I was unable to get a clear shot of the cluster itself, it's just too damn cold for me to take one. I tried several times. But you can get an idea of the brightness of the gauges.

Here is a pic of the bulbs as they look and one pic of them installed. Like I said, there are a couple more pics in my gallery.

Attached Files:

• led1.jpg
      led1.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
    • led5.jpg
      led5.jpg
      File size:
      17.3 KB
      Views: