1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj650 kickstand safety switch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by johnny513, Mar 13, 2011.

1. johnny513

johnny513 New Member

Is it common for these to fail? Here's my situation. Sometimes, when I'm switching to neutral to first, it will cut out like I'm hitting the cut off or like the kickstands is still down. Could there be other reasons for this happening?

2. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Sounds like a poor connection or bad sidestand relay to me.

3. wktiz

wktiz New Member

This happened on my 84 Seca all the time - the safety switch could be getting stuck every time you use the kickstand. Might just take some lube to fix your problem, or just start using the center stand...

4. BlkMage

BlkMage Member

I know on my bike the sidestand switch activates when the stand is down, meaning you could just remove it if you felt like it. Of course, that just means you'll have to make REAL sure your stand is up when you ride away.

But I do have a Maxim. For all I know, the Seca could be the opposite and require a wire bypass if you removed it.

I would say go ahead and unplug the sidestand switch and see if it helps. There are other things it could be.