1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Fuel out the driveshaft boot? You have problems.
    Is you muffler belt lose? Is your signal light fluid low too? This and other issues are the reason some riders stay awake at night!!

2. johnny513

johnny513 New Member

There's a post covering fuel out the driveshaft. Fuel in oil, oil leaking through shaft gasket. Drain fluids, clean and set carbs, replace gasket. Use search feature.. on another note.. new tank emblems and throttle cable.

3. johnny513

johnny513 New Member

There's a post covering fuel out the driveshaft. Fuel in oil, oil leaking through shaft gasket. Drain fluids, clean and set carbs, replace gasket. Use search feature.. on another note.. new tank emblems and throttle cable.

4. macros10

macros10 Member

My turn signal fluid is low! I'm waiting for parts on that, so in the meantime, I've been changing oil, etc. on my dirtbike. But the XJ sits nearby, patiently, waiting for it's turn signals to operate properly with lubrication! Haven't checked the muffler belt yet, one thing at a time, lol.

5. Samson

Samson Member

I sandblasted my headlight and gauge pods, then primered them with rust resistant primer... now on my way to the store to get some truck bed liner to coat them black :D

6. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Macros, don't forget to chrome the Keneuter Valve LOL

7. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Step 1-Went for a ride. Went 2 blocks and it died.
    Step 2-Checked fuses, petcock, key...nothing. Got back on, started, went 2 blocks, died.
    Step 3-Jiggled handlebars, hit the button, went 2 blocks, died.
    Repeated step 3 for 10 minutes.
    Got home, figured tomorrow's project is going through the wiring in the headlight bucket and ignition switch.
    And I was worried I was running out of Gremlins!

8. WacoBrian

WacoBrian Member

thanks for reminding me about the muffler belt, im kinda new the the bike world only have 2 xs650s that i restored, been learning xj for about 3 -4 weeks now it's a cool bike , i would rather a chain drive tho, but bringing this one back, was not taking care of the last few years, unrusted the tank last weekend, and rattle caned the sidecovers with some killer grey metalflake.pics soon

9. macros10

macros10 Member

Grey metal flake sounds pretty cool, gonna do the tank as well? Yeah, those muffler belts are a pita lol. Just having some fun. We used to send our new privates in the army after all kinds of crazy stuff, box of grid squares, automatic boot polishers, lol, stuff like that.

10. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

Changed my brake lines to stainless steels ones, changed brake pads. Fought with caliper, fought with brake bleeding, 3 hour job took 6.... Gotta love murphy sometimes!

11. shangovi

shangovi Member

Pulled the back wheel, checked break shoes (good) greased bearings n lubed moving parts in break drum - working on carbs (with help frm iwingameover). Hope to be out soon ... :lol:

12. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Just ordered new wiper blades for the windshield too! LOL

Just replaced my LED tail light with one that has more LEDs in it. Holy crap batman, I thought the old one was bright (which it was) but the new one that has more LEDs in it....it's blinding!!! If I don't get noticed now, I never will.

13. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

New back tire, balanced back and front tire. Tried to start it after sitting most of the winter to no avail, battery was too low. Charged the battery and she fired right up. I almost forgot haw smooth the XJ is. :D

14. Kracket

Kracket Member

So Here is what I did Yesterday to my xj650...
    took my float needle to Westside motor sports to find a new one...
    got there and could not find the same one drove all the way back home to get the seet... drove back to Westside got the needle and seet I needed to replace old one... it busted sat. last week stopped me dead from cleaning my carbs... first time doing it so I wanted everything there....

came home grabbed my carbs drove to my dads house to start the cleaning process... first carb on the right went well enrichment valve coated in about a mm of grime and most of the holes plugged same with second and third...

when i got the Mixture screws i took out the second one and found there was no washer... third one there was no O ring and 4th one there was nothing... picked up everything and drove as fast as I could to Westside 30min before they closed and I was about 15 min out... spent until closing finding the O rings and washers but we found them...
    dragged myself home and finished the cleaning process... Finally all day process from 11am to 9 pm

and today I get to bench sinc the carbs... then its on to fine tuning the mixture... Not possable without Thanks to Rick

15. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Took ignition switch off and apart, cleaned.
    Found the short in the cut-off switch wires and (hopefully) got that fixed finally.
    Changed the oil, no more petrol smell!
    Cursed the PO that put the too large POS headlight on it, the reason I had to find the cut-off switch short.

16. Kracket

Kracket Member

put the carbs back on now it idles tooo high... cant find the problem... might have to take off again... 4-5k rpm idle once and a while id start it up again and it would idle were it was suposed to then i would rev it and it would stick at 4-5 again...

if i cant get it running by the middle of next month properly im gana have to sell it. cant bring it up to cally with me for school it it dosn't run like it should...

17. Kracket

Kracket Member

found problem with idle flout was sticking open... tryed to put carbs back on to test and pulled a muscle in my back... :lol:

18. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Pulled the axle, checked rears again, greased, re-assembled, dis-assembled, re-assembled, dis-assembled, swore, everything fit back together like butter.

Cleaned all electrical connections and switches...signals snap back to center now.

Headlight saturday.....to be continued

19. wktiz

wktiz New Member

Figured out one of my sparks isn't working. New plugs and oil change this weekend. Speedo not working, so gotta figure out if it's the cable or the speedo. Still need to take off the back tire and check the brakes for delam.

20. JameyP

JameyP Member

Ordered parts to fix the forks. Maybe this time will be the charm. I still need to check valves but I haven't talked myself into it just yet. Everything I seem to do to this bike I end up doing at least twice, some things more than twice. I'm still studying the post on the valve checking process so maybe I'll only have to do it once. I need to put my bike in the house with the computer so I can do it step by step. Haven't talked the wife into that one yet!