1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

coil pack/ spark wiring

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by snowyroads, Mar 17, 2011.

1. snowyroads

snowyroads Member

i know this is a dumb question and i should be testing other things but its dark out.

i removed the coil packs to do a new wire spice/ new boots job.

i thought i marked the cylinders down correctly but it still wont even give me a burp. has good battery charge.

both 2 and 3 are on the same coil (im almost positive) and 1 and 4 are on the other. but contrary to what i would think, the wires when leaving the coil packs cross each other to go to their spark plugs. it happens with both coil packs.

so i tried to cross them, 1 for 4, and then 2 and 3. still nothing.

could anyone look at their coils real quick for me?? ill check to see if my new boots/wires are throwing spark tomorrow.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Your coil packs are correct, 1~4 and 2~3. It really doesn't matter if they cross over or not. You should have the primary wires colored red/white & orange coil going to the 1~4 and the red/white & grey coild covering the 2~3. You also need to ensure that you replaced the ground (two black wires and a ring terminal) under the rear coil clamping bolt. Have you ensured that your TCI is plugged in and is the IGN fuse is happy.
    Good luck,
    P.S. I like your avatar!

3. snowyroads

snowyroads Member

so i checked all the spark plugs, they all sparked against the engine head except for 3. i changed the plug and it fired up for a couple seconds but just didn't have the energy to keep going. it had to be in full choke.

went out a day later thinking the engine was just flooded and it wouldn't start at all.

ive not tested spark too many times and the engine was painted a long time ago but it wasn't a bright blue spark. it was an audible tick and a thin short arc.

i will buy a 2nd set of plugs (put 10 miles on the others) to see if thats the issue as they brought the bike back to life last time.

could this be a fault in my spark plug wires?? i had to purchase new wires/ splicers and boots

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sounds like your ignition is working, have you looked over your carbs? They need to be clean and properly tuned for easy starting.

5. snowyroads

snowyroads Member

i had cleaned and bench synced the carbs a few weeks ago and thats what lead to it starting. in addition to the new plugs. but i was thinking this could be the issue again on account of "getting old" gas in there and now it has sat even longer.

i will clean them out again and report my results. thanks again Robert!