1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Debating what i want

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by TinyBear, Mar 18, 2011.

1. TinyBear

TinyBear New Member

While back i picked up a 1983 Yamaha Seca 750 to restore/mod into a sort of cafe racer/Street fighter (always loved the Seca and when i stole my brothers 82 650 for a day i was hooked had to have my own). Progress has been super slow due issues at work eating up every waking hr i had (finally dumped that position at my work).

So now i started ripping her all down and what not for a full frame up clean up and such And have started getting a list of goodies (cant spend too much yet as saving up for a big bike trip this summer).

BUT i find myself torn on witch route to go. What ya all think look/function better. My goal for the bike is just a fun weekend toy with the odd trip to the drag strip and possibly try it around the road course after taking some more advanced riding lessons. I am aware its not gona be the fastest bike out there but i dont need that i just love the look and sound of these old air cooled 4's. I have a CBF600SA honda for daily riding and it is a better handling bike and is a great touring platform but its not as inspiring to ride as these old Yamahas.

On one hand i can pick up This Fairing and keep my stock dash and rectangle light witch i honestly despise the look of maybe a fairing would help but i dont know

or

I can hunt down a 7-8" round headlight assembly remove my stock dash wire in This speedo and go fairingless. I prefer this looks wise but dont know whats involved in removing that dash cluster.

Either way i replacing the bars with much lower ones (not clubmans thought) rebuilding the forks, replacing the rear shocks(all black), recovering or having a new seat made, replacing the exhaust with a all black 4-1, replacing all the controls (including the stupid cable actuated from brake mastercylinder), And really cleaning up the wiring and engine along with a GOOD TUNE UP.

Heres the bike it does run fine (well sort up the throttle seams to hang and is very slow to return to idle sometimes but the cables free and returns great) and is fully capable of passing safety as is. Paint is pretty damn good but i think i wana eventually paint it Yellow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

If you want performance out of a bike that has mediocre power, then invest int the best suspension, front and rear, good sticky tires and better brakes. You'd be surprised how fast "seeming" a bike is that handles and brakes really well. Then if you want to go into cosmetic stuff after, then do it. But you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the first things I mentioned.
    A coolo looking bike that handles and responds like crap soon looses it's sparkle. Just sayin'!

3. BlkMage

BlkMage Member

Personally, I'm a fan of "no faring, no windshield" myself. I just finished most of the bypass work around the Atari for new gauges myself, there are posts around here about removing the Atari...
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2 ... emove.html shows how to bypass head/tail/brake lights on the Maxim, Seca should be similar
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2 ... iodes.html a great way to go from 2 turn signal indicator lights to one
    The rest is pretty simple if you have the wiring diagrams. Maxim-X there has some great ideas about actually improving performance, I'm just a computer/electronics nerd myself.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

second one sounds kind of like the blue one in my gallery

5. TinyBear

TinyBear New Member

That blue bike pretty sweet looking Thanx all for the help reading that atari removal thread i think i going the round headlamp no fairing rout.

6. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Removing the ugly speedo/tach mess isn't all that hard to do with a good wiring diagram (some can be had from this forum from past posts) and replaced with a smaller unit. Big brother over did it with all those bells and whistles on that big ugly square computer monitor and to me, was just way too annoying to be practical.
    Like MaximX stated, get all you performance upgrades done first, which is usually more time consuming. Then go with whatever facelift you're planning. You may change your mind along the way as I've done and end up with something completely different than the original plan.
    Once you strip it down to the basics, you may want to just keep it that way for the power-to-weight ratio is alot of fun once you experience it. That's what started the whole "bobber" idea way back in the day, to get better performance out of those big cruisers to make them more nimble with handling and performance on the track. Have fun with the whole fabrication experience, and learn from it.