1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 xj650 bobber project - few issues I need help with

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by SpiritofAA, Mar 23, 2011.

1. SpiritofAA

SpiritofAA New Member

Okay, I bought the bike below for 300.00. Ran very good, just weather worn from sitting under a porch for a few years. Went right into bobbing it out... cutting, grinding, welding... so here is a few pics of the progress, and below them are a few questions I have for those with experience building these bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's comin' along! Now, rear motor mount question. Not even sure what happened to it, but it has a hole that appears to run through the front peg brackets, the frame, the motor and back out the other side through the same stuff... but I can't find a bolt or rod I took out of it. :oops: So, I read some here, and from what I am gathering, a threaded rod the length I need would do the trick??? Please confirm this or provide me with other ideas that would work to secure the pegs to the bike as well as secure the motor to the frame again at the rear mount.

Next, I added a new set of handle bars (raised about 8 inches) and will need both throttle cable and clutch cables extended about 5 inches each... any one know what the best way to get the correct measurement I'll need on them and where I can get them on order? I will also need new handle grips.

Lastly, I am going to want to forward extend the control arms (shifter and brake), so they are further to the front of the motor. Any one have any practical experience making their own extensions that would be willing to share some info and photos with me? I am trying to avoid dumping almost 300.00 on just buying a set of extensions if possible. Any one with experience in this part of the project that will share the info and pics with me would be greatly appreciated.

John

2. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

John,
    Your project looks great! I like it alot!!
    I also have higher handlebars on my bob job (12" mini apes) and had to get a longer throttle cable also. I ended up going right to the Dennis Kirk outlet store to see what they could hook me up with. I had the length measured so all I needed was to find one from an existing bike that was the right length.
    Now for some reason, they don't have cable lengths in their catolog, but they do at the store, so you may need to just call them with your measurement and description of cable ends, so they can fix you up with the right one. Ot keep looking on the net and hopefully you will get lucky.
    As for forward controls, I made my own after seeing what they get for them (way over priced) It isn't all that hard to do if you have the proper tools.
    I just used metal and parts I had from other bikes to fabricate brakets and foot controls for the project.
    Without getting into much detail here, just do a search on "forward controls" and you should get some good ideas on how to do it. PD

3. skillet

skillet Active Member

Lookin' good! Like the color. Where did you pick up that rear fender (me likey)???

skillet

4. F.H.

F.H. Member

Skillet: I think this is his old front fender... infact, it is for sure!

SpiritofAA: (1st) any threaded rod or screw of suffecient length would do. (2nd) your cables are the difference between life or death, get new cables made... I live in California and had my cables made here at "Terry Cables". google them, call them to find out if they would ship them to you. Another company here in Cali is "motion-pro"... same thing. (3rd) forward controls is an easy concept that you would be able to figure out by checking out a bunch of pix... but I would recomend buying a set, if you care about looks, and most importantly... safety...