1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Saddle bag talk and acessories.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Xjmike, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Xjmike

Xjmike Member

Hello everyone, after browsing the internet for about an hour now. i still wasn't able to find any "interesting" saddlebags that might work for my bike. The kind that i'm REALLY trying to aim for is the Box like saddle bags that are commonly found on BMW's (they are AWESOME). Not the soft leathery crap, i want something SOLID that works on my bike. if anyone can find a aftermarket universal bag like this. please link it to me! 8O

Also you can ad in a discussion about ANYTHING related to accessories. I'm also looking for a cool looking windshield that isn't butt ugly.

2. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

First you need to figure out just how much room you have for saddlebags on the sides of your bike, so they don't get burned by the mufflers and if you need to move the signal lights to be able to mount them. So you will need some kind of measurements before trying to find one that fit properly.
    Hard bags usually need some kind of mounting system to hold them in place, or points to hold them onto the frame of the bike.
    Ebay had alot of choices that are reasonably priced that may work for you.
    Just search for "hard saddlebags" and you'll see what I mean.

3. Xjmike

Xjmike Member

thanks for the info, i'll check it out!

4. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I snagged a NOS Vetter rack setup for my 750 Seca a while back (includes the rear parcel shelf and the turn signal relocation points). Then got a package deal of Vetter hard bags and a rack setup for a KZ1000. Then had to get replacement cam locks (no keys for originals). Then had to repair/repaint the case fronts. Now have to reproduce the square block that fits on the back of the cam lock and spreads the locking fingers apart when you want to take the bags off.

All in all, I would probably have been better off getting a set of Givi or some plastic military cases. But it's a hobby...

Don't rule out flexible bags. Many actually prefer them due to better cost/mounting concerns; and they are no less waterproof than most hard bags. In fact, most "die hard" tourers love the waterproof Wolfman rear packs and the "U"-shaped rear packs from Giant Loop.

5. retread83

retread83 Member

How about oem yamaha tour-pak? I have it on my 750,so do some other members.Search the gallery.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

All depends on what bike you have. I had a yammy quick-release setup on my 650 maxim, and it's going to be swapped over to a 750 maxim this summer if I get the time, or someone doesn't buy the bike first.

It WON'T fit on the 85/86 700's. It WILL fit on the 81-83 viragos, don't know about the later ones.

Still boils down to what bike you have.

7. Xjmike

Xjmike Member

i have an 83 xj750. I found this AWESOME looking windshield fairing called the F-15 here is a link to it. I have the curcular gauges and headlight (which is the best looking gauges on the xj's IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Cycle-F- ... B000GROHVK

there are also shorter ones but probably don't have as good of wind protection and more of an aesthetic appeal. i'm sure that this SHOULD fit!

8. Xjmike

Xjmike Member

9. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

Here is my bike with the "street shield EX" and a hard trunk. Probably not the look you are going for though.
    http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll16 ... mplete.jpg

The EX means it's a bit bigger than the street shield which IMO is just big enough ...The air hits just over the top of my helmet at 70. It's a very stable ride into the triple digits and I can cruise at 85 one handed.

The smaller one just didn't block enough air for me although it did look a little better but FUNCTION is more important to me than looks. Same with the trunk. Dry, secure, and balanced when I bring home a car battery and a gallon of oil at the same time!

10. hipseo1

hipseo1 New Member

I suggest you to use Saddlemen BR3400 Back Seat or Sissy Bar Bag sale Price of $157.95 or you can try for Dowco Rally Pack Sissy Bar Bag sale Price of $74.95.

work bags | aptop messenger bag

11. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

I have 2 sets of BMW Krauser hard saddlebags for sale. I have the mounting brackets but they would have to be modified to fit your bike.

12. Planehue

Planehue Member

13. zap2504

zap2504 Member

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

consider finding a set of the yamaha quick-release saddlebags. They are hardshell, lockable, and they come off a turn of a key, and a pull of a pin. Take a look at the xj650 maxim in my gallery. That's a complete bag setup on there. If you want more info on it, pm me.

Dave Fox