1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 xj750 seca doesnt want to run.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by streetfighter89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

i have an 83 seca 750 that doesn't want to start and or run, i checked for spark getting solid spark on all for cylinders, i did get it to run briefly but only on ether, only the right two pipes got hot though, and even though the tank was full as soon as it ran out of ether she would die, so obvious carb problems, also it has cone filters. anyone have any idea's or suggestions im new to the motorcycle world but pretty mechanically inclined, on cars at least so any help would be awesome thanks guys!

2. mirco

mirco Member

You have to pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly. The subject has been addressed many times here and there are a couple of excellent threads if you will do a search. If you got her to run with ether that is an excellent sign. At least it encourages you to keep going. There is no short cut. Let me repeat, there is no short cut - you must clean the carbs. Pull them off as a rack - don't break the rack apart. In other words, don't separate the carbs from each other. That will require additional work that is probably not going to be necessary at this time. Once you do the search for the thread on carb cleaning, and you follow those instruction EXACTLY, then it will probably fire right up and run like a champ (the "cones" may be a bit of an issue but not a game breaker).

3. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

thanks alot what about the fact that when running on ether only two of the pipes were getting hot??? does that mean anything?

4. mirco

mirco Member

Yes, it means that in all likelihood two of the carbs have clogged passages. This is definitely not a terminal case. The fact that it fired on ether is a good thing. But you must move slowly and methodically. If you start jumping to conclusions and making too many changes at once you will probably get frustrated and end up selling it for parts on cragslist. Which two pipes were getting hot?

5. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

the left two were getting hot.

6. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

a few other tidbits of info that might help, i got the bike last fall in a trade needed some wiring work got that all squared away and got her fired up, rode a litle bit just real short distances, she usually would need a little ether to fire up but once warmed up would start on its own, she ran rough but i assumed it was because of the cone filters, then one day she just kinda stoped wanting to run much, it would stilll fire but just on ether, and i didnt really mess with it because we were in the middle of moving so she sat in a storage unit all winter now here we are.

7. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

How many miles? You might *just* have carb problems, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't start going through the necessary steps to ensure that your engine is maintained and reliable. This includes the following:

Valve Adjustment
    Compression test - these bikes can RUN on two cylinders...you won't know until you test
    Fully Charged Good Battery
    No Intake leaks (members vary greatly on whether the pod filters count) :lol:
    Fully Cleaned carbs - consider replacing all old gaskets and orings - including throttle shaft seals (aka "breaking the rack apart). Potential source of intake leaks. Pay special attention to enrichment circuit well in the float bowl for cold starting.
    Floats adjusted using gasoline and clear tube method
    "Bench Sync"
    Once it's running - do a running sync/colortune (or other method to get your pilot mixture right).
    Set some time aside to rejet the carbs and fiddle with tuning to get the pod filters tuned up.

In That Order. Search the site, you will find detailed threads and even some walk throughs. Troubleshooting the intake is is MUCH easier if you get the basics out of the way FIRST. Otherwise, you'll be looking chasing down one problem after another...and likely won't be satisfied. Be systematic and GET THAT BIKE ON THE ROAD 8)

8. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

i wanna say it only has around 12000 miles on it, also whats the best way to do a good compression test??

9. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

With a compression tester! :lol: Sorry couldn't help myself.

You can get the tester at your local auto parts store for about $25. Take a spark plug with you to make sure it has the right size adapter.

Then,

1. Remove all 4 plugs
    2. Unplug TCI
    3. install tester in cylinder spark plug hole
    4. hold throttle wide open
    5. Spin engine by starter until the needle stops rising
    6. record number

repeat steps 3-6 for the other 3 cylinders.

Post numbers here. Higher is generally better, low can be ok, you're looking for even across the board.

Also, add your bike to your signature and a general location to your profile. Someone maybe up the street to help.

10. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

And spend the extra $10 and get a compression tester with all the adapters (you need a 14mm, they typically come with 18mm and 14mm). As you go looking for more gas powered toys to revive, you'll want the 12mm plug.

11. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

alright well i will have to pick one of those up in the next couple days, im also gonna start tearing into the carbs to give them a full detailed cleaning. i'll let you know how it goes.

12. iwingameover

Keep us posted. We'll help you get it straight.

O/T that is a great quote in your sig....

13. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

so i got them cleaned the bowls looked awul super gummed up to end didnt look to awful, anygood links to diy bench syncs>?

14. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

so tore it apart cleaned back together couldnt resist myself, but it back on bike she fired up with out even any starting fluid!!! all pipes hot idles good. def could still use synced. when i rev though its doing alot of popping, and spitting flames?? any suggestions?

15. wizard

wizard Active Member

Set the pilot mixture screws to default & sync' the rack, do that first, then you can get on with some plug chops......

16. iwingameover

First take them back off and clean them all the way even if they looked good.

You can bench synch with a strip of 3x5 index card.

17. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

i did clean them all the way i mean i striped it down to bare bones and cleaned it. any links to benchsyncing?

18. mirco

mirco Member

bench synching is nothing more than making sure all the butterflies close evenly. As was mentioned by iwin, a strip of 3x5 index card is the standard and accepted method on this here forum. You rip off a strip of index card and use it as a "feeler guage" and bring each butterfly down until it just touches the paper - done! You are now "bench-synched".

19. iwingameover

Do you know how to adjust the butterflys?

Not trying to be insulting but if you don't we should start there or just telling you to do it wth the index card is of no help.

20. macros10

macros10 Member

This was a pretty good thread about bench syncing......bench sync