1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First bike, carb question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FearsOfWar, Apr 5, 2011.

1. FearsOfWar

FearsOfWar New Member

This is my first bike, and I have a question about the carburetor. More accurately, a part of it.

I'm unsure of the actual name for the parts, but the rubber boots that go from the air box to the carb, and then from the carb to the engine are messed up.

The ones from the air box to the carb where not on the bike when I bought it, but were stored in the guys garage, and they are total crab. They look nasty, are squished, the whole 9 yards.

The ones that actually mount the carb to the engine, the 2 middle ones are ripped almost in half at the clamps.

I cannot find ANYONE online who sells these parts, and the local Yamaha dealer says the mounts are discontinued and want an insane amount to have them shipped in from another dealer.

Does anyone have the part numbers or a link to buy them online?

Thanks.

2. FearsOfWar

FearsOfWar New Member

Sorry, forgot to mention.

It's a 1981 Seca 750.

3. Nortstudio

Nortstudio Member

I'm pretty sure they are called carb boots, and manifold boots. Have you checked the store on here that has just about everything for these bikes? It's in the supporting sponsor section.

4. FearsOfWar

FearsOfWar New Member

I looked through, and they don't have the air box to carb boots listed, unless an XJ-700-X is the same thing as an XJ750, which I doubt.

They have the clamps listed for a 750, but not the boots themselves. Which isn't an overly big issue, I can find those at the local Yamaha dealer for under $20 each with new clamps.

And unless I'm missing something, I don't see the manifold boots at all, which are the ones I really need.

5. Nortstudio

Nortstudio Member

I would try PM'ing him. He seems pretty thorough :)

6. firebox40dash5

firebox40dash5 Member

bikebandit looks to have them. They also have the factory parts diagrams, but you can zoom in on them! I've never ordered from them, I just use them to get & verify part numbers.

Yamaha calls the ones on the engine side "joint, carburetor", the outers and inners are each different. I think K&L makes aftermarket ones, but I can't find my K&L catalog on my computer right now. The OEM ones are kinda spendy- the center pair is over $140 on there.

The airbox side is "joint, air cleaner" and are all the same. Bikebandit lists those for $11 each, but they show unavailable. Not sure if that means they don't carry them, or Yamaha has discontinued them.

7. pbthoe

pbthoe Member

XJ4ever the supporting vendor has them. They are located on page 1 of the catalog. ( I just looked em up ). E-mail him he is very very helpful and will not sell you an item you don't need. He has clarified orders for me just so you get the parts you need and nothing else. Great fellow to do business with.

8. FearsOfWar

FearsOfWar New Member

Thanks everyone. I PM'ed XJ4ever, so hopefully I can get an answer soon.

9. FearsOfWar

FearsOfWar New Member

Sorry if I sound ignorant on this one, its my first bike so bare with me please. lol

How do you know which 750 to look under on bikebandit? It shows 750RH, RJ, & RK SECA.

Again, sorry for my ignorance.

10. waldo

waldo Member

R is the designator for a Seca. G=1980, H=1981, J=1982, K=1983. The letter I is not used.

11. Robert

Robert Active Member

You need to find out exactly which year your bike was made. The First 3 or 4 digits of the VIN are best for this if the VIN sticker is missing off of the steering head of the frame.
    If you know your year, here you go.
    81=RH
    82=RJ
    83=RK
    Get it? Incidently, the 81~83 Secas were darn near identical for parts. Chacal can hook you up with any parts you might need...he is incredibly user friendly.