1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

LED turn signals / brake light

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Igarashi, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Igarashi

Igarashi New Member

Hi- In preperation for the quickly approaching warmer weather, I was thinking of sprucing up the bike a little bit. I've seen LED based rear lamps and was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations, or links to web sites where you could order them. Are there any that are an easy drop-in replacement? The ones I've seen on other bikes have very nice instant response time.

I tried to search the forums but didn't see anything about LED lights, but maybe there is a thread somewhere...

On a somewhat related note, my turn signals seem to wait one "beat" before actually coming on after I flip the switch. Is that normal? Is there any way to "fix" that so the signals light up instantly?

Thanks for any help!

2. Fongdingo

Fongdingo Member

3. seedyrom

seedyrom Member

4. Igarashi

Igarashi New Member

Thanks guys-
    looks like the turn signals are a bit more tricky, maybe I'll just try the tail light for starters. One question, and maybe this would be better put in that older thread, but would replacing the turn signal circuit with an "electronic" turn signal get rid of that delay? The dealy bugs me a little, it seems like it'd be safer for the turn signal to be more immediate and alert cars of where I'm going more quickly.

5. Altus

Altus Active Member

For our style of reflectors (brake housing & turn signals) I'm told the "tower" style of LED bulbs works better - here's an example:
    LED Tower bulb on Ebay

By having LED's around all sides it makes use of the existing reflectors, giving a brighter output

6. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

If you plan to get your signals to work with your brake light (you'll need red lenses) you can use one of those control boxes used for vehicles with separate (amber) brake lights for pulling a trailor. I put one on my 750 and now have the signal lights work with the brake light and still have signals! I bought it for using my Nissan pickup to pull my boat and never used it, so I put it on the bike instead. I think I paid about $15 for it 8 years ago. They run around $20 now. You can find them at most any auto store.