1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Kracket

Kracket Member

took it out for a while today to see how it was riding... ended up putting 30 miles on... IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! then it got to cold...

2. macros10

macros10 Member

Rode to work, thought I'd be smart and put my yamaha ignition key on my key ring of keys.........leaving work I turn onto the highway and hit the throttle and unbeknown st to me, the damn things flew out of the ignition. I back tracked with my daughter in her car and found them right where I first entered the highway, only a little bit bent up, lol. Live and learn, need to go get copies of them all made. Other than that, was a very nice ride!

3. macros10

macros10 Member

Met my buddy on his VTX 1800 and rode around a little, very nice day to ride. Pulled plugs after to see how they were looking.......not bad after 160 miles or so, keeping an eye on everything though......might need to replace the clutch plates and cable, jury is still out though.

4. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

started to paint the side covers. don't know how well painting the Maxim emblems will go as they seem old and grimey and hard to scuff

put on the seat cover. looks a tonne better than the old torn seat

5. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

The wife took a half day off work so we could drive the hour north to where my bike has been stored for the winter. I had to finish wiring 3 of the new blinkers on before I could ride it. Also, had to fab a few tabs to mount the front pair. All in all, when all the work was finished it was night time. Started the bike for warm up, helmet on, then my wife informs me of her concern for my safety. I live in western PA so hills and deer are plenty. I may or may not have met a few tears fall as I killed the bike and removed my lid... as of now, she's coming home Wednesday!

6. mrtim123

mrtim123 Member

rewired headlight, indicators, rebuilt front master cyl, sealed leaking tank (again) and gave it a quick rev tune :)

7. JameyP

JameyP Member

Rebuilt the forks using the new kits from Len. Very nice quality, everything went together smoothly as it should. Rode about 80 miles and NO leaks! Not even a little oil residue on the forks. Thanks Len!

8. lostboy2

lostboy2 Member

Going to be getting stainless steel brake lines all the way from mc to caliper from Len. Then install them one weekend. Hopefully have a better feeling lever after upgrade.

9. TMHack

TMHack Member

Got the new rear tire in the mail to replace the FRONT tire the local bike shop put on it... grr! And started tearing into the wiring to shorten up the harness and relocate some wires... probably run some through the frame! It hit 80 yesterday but there were some wicked storms. Can't wait to ride!

10. carbonxe

carbonxe Member

Rode it for the very first time! It was a whopping 1/4 mile since the front brakes were barely working (needs MC rebuild), but it was a very satisfying feeling. This thing hauls ass for being 30 years old too, I was shocked at how much low end grunt it has and how much it takes off at 6000RPM.

11. Kracket

Kracket Member

Monday... took the MSC... faild u turn... tusday retested and passed... i HATE THE LITTLE BIKES THAY MAKE U USE!!! 250cc ugg... suprisingly it sounds like i didnt compleatly boch the banch synk and i set the mixture screws out 2 1/2 turns and it runs fantasticly... little trubble worming up but other then that... POLISING is all i need to do... untill i have money for manifold boots...

12. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

put some paint on the 650 maxim (HOK Brandywine Kandy base coat and HOK kosmic klear with brandywine intensifier ) and 750 seca (rustoleum semi-gloss black)

dim light
    [​IMG]
    bright light
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mrtim123

mrtim123 Member

last night - cleaned and polished, gave it a test run around the back streets (currently unrego'd)
    this afternoon - rego inspection, should pass no problems
    tomorrow morning - get rego and go for a ride!

14. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Started the valve adjust process. It was going swimmingly until I heard the sound of escaping air as I rotated the engine. Am I hearing the oil pump do it's pumping biznas through one of the pumpie holes or is one of my valves leaking?

My concern-o-meter is a 5.3 out of 10 and rising.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

Put my crash bars and highway pegs back on. Contemplated putting the new rubber on the back. Decided against it too save sunlight for a great ride home. Put about 60 miles on her to get home. Gotta get the tire sorted out tmw then have her inspected. After that, let the miles fly!

16. macros10

macros10 Member

Replaced my turn signal assembly/switch! Finally have working,dependable, blinkers and a pretty a** brand new switch to boot! Thanks Chacal, you rock man!

Mac

17. LoDollarDave

LoDollarDave Member

Brushed the snow off and made a list of carb parts I'm gonna need from Chacal. Maybe it'll be nice enough to ride once I get 'em built again... :roll:

18. Erman

Erman Member

Loosened the throttle to make room for a little more slack, as the bike was idling too high... I do believe it lowered about 1000 RPMs...

19. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

replaced the 750's shifter centering spring and made a manometer so I can sync my carbs when the time comes

20. moshumi13

moshumi13 Member

How about bottoming out the speedometer on an XJ550 in fourth gear? Have you done that today? HaHa!
    My left side cover flew off at around at 100 and probably hit the pavement like a golf ball and teleported! Went back in a car and retraced my route and at least didn't see any shattered plastic on the road. It's in XJ heaven.
    Too much to list that I've done on my bike and some people on this forum don't encourage it, but the OEM bikini fairing is getting on my nerves. It is causing high speed wobbles as I've read it does. Still, the speedo bottoming out in fourth with two more gears to go is a good litmus test for what I've done. HaHa! I kept going into the wind.
    What else are you supposed to do when you're speedo has bottomed out with two gears to go? :lol:
    I would like Fitz to detail how to put a higher limit speedo on. He has one on his. I'd like to know when I'm coming into the zone of my top limit instead of guessing how fast I am going just using my blurred peripheral vision and luck. Boo!
    Much Love to All on this Forum! Much Luck Too, Later!