1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

front break locking up/dragging...ouch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by streetfighter89, Apr 13, 2011.

1. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

so the other day i had the bike out and was taking a corner in my driveway and the front brake locked up, funny thing was i didnt even have my hand on it. i ended up dumping the bike.... i got up picked up the bike and the front brake was locked up still, i adjusted the lever cable and it freed up alittle but its still dragging, and ocasionally locking up even when im not touching the brakes. i cant ride it like this i need help any ideas? 83 xj 750 seca

thanks

2. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Front master cylinder needs cleaned out, especially the pressure relief passage - ultra tiny hole that can collect water-induced garbage and plug up, causing the front brakes to lock.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's not just the master cylinder. You've got one (or both) calipers hanging up, not a good thing.

You're going to need to rebuild the system. Master, calipers, lines, do it right. If you don't you'll just have to keep poking away at it until you do.

Better to just do it right the first time. Your life kinda depends on it.

4. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

no joke about the life relying on it thing any idea where or if they sell rebuild kits?? prices?

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

We have a resident parts source, XJ4Ever. PM member chacal, send an email to info "at" XJ4Ever.com, or click on the logo/link in the upper right of the banner on this page.

Or get them right from Yamaha but expect to pay a whole lot more. Yamaha still carries almost all of the "consummables" for these bikes, chacal has both OEM and aftermarket alternatives as well as parts that Yamaha never even assigned a number to.

Pretty much everything you need to recommission, restore, and maintain an XJ series Yamaha is readily available. The only things that are difficult are "body" parts (like 550 Seca RH sidecovers) or really big "core" components, and we have eBay for those.

6. streetfighter89

streetfighter89 Member

appreciate it man i will have to get on that

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Remove the Calipers.
    Remove the Mounts.

The Shafts and Machined Cylinders which the Caliper "Floats" on need to be
    thoroughly cleaned and restored.
    The "Cylinder" element that accepts the Shaft needs to be thoroughly cleaned and Refurbished with ScotchBrite or rollled-up 800 Sand Paper.

The "Shaft" upon which the Caliber "Floats" needs to have the O-rings removed and the Shaft >> "Shoe-shined" with finishing paper strips to a smooth finish.

Once refinished, the O-rings are replaced and the Cylinder's diameter coated with a smear of Waterproof Synthetic Grease.
    The Shaft needs to be lubed with Waterproof Grease, as well.

The Mount and Caliper, ... re-joined and "Exercised" to burp-out the air within the confine.

Once the Caliper is restored to a Fully Floating Condition ...

Overhaul the Caliper.
    Pay particular attention to cleaning-out the Caliper Seal Locating Channels of ALL Foreign Matter.
    Once the Caliper is restored to a Fully cleaned status ...
    Install NEW Seals.

Re-install the Calipers and Mounts
    New Pads.
    Bleed and adjust.

You're due.
    How do we know this?
    A: You locked-up.