1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by blk99gtp, Apr 17, 2011.

1. blk99gtp

blk99gtp New Member

I took the headers off today to put on a jcwhitney exhaust and when I was putting the headers back on I realized that two of the head studs that hold the headers are stripped.

Is there any way that I can pull them out and just use a bolt that size or what should i do? The PO had just nuts on them so I am assuming this problem has occured on this bike before...

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Be extremely careful not to break the studs off. I would only trust this job to a professional. Get ahold of a machine shop and talk to them before you do anything.

MN

3. BillB

BillB Active Member

4. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey blk99gtp (Pontiac owner I assume)
    The studs on your bike should be threaded at both ends I believe and the flange is held on with a nut, may be similar to the way my Maxim-X is held on:
    [​IMG]
    If the outer thread (beyond the flange) is stripped then you may be able to re-cut the threads like BillB suggests, though if they are really bad you may have to cut them one size smaller and use a smaller nut.
    However, if it's the threads that go into the cylinder head that are stripped and you are not 100% sure how to fix it, have someone that does know do it. It'll cost a bit, but if you mess it up it'll cost a whole lot more!
    Post some pics if you can so we can get a visual on the problem and then take it from there.
    Good luck!

5. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

When you gonna put that thing back together. lol i want some done pics you can do it lol

6. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    blk99gtp

Asumming its a threaded stud like Maxim-X suggested.
    Try double nutting the stud and carefully try to unscrew the stud. you may need to heat the area around the stud with a propane torch. then replace with a new stud or bolt.
    If its the hole for the stud that is stripped then you will need to put a helicoil insert into it. Either way be very carefull.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

8. blk99gtp

blk99gtp New Member

the threads are just stripped on the end on both headstuds. So should I buy that tool and try to cut the threads down a little bit?

I just don't want to mess the threads up so then I have to pull the headstud out if i don't have to...

I have ran into a problem like this before on my cbr600. The spark plug popped out of the hole and i put a helicoil in it to hold it down. But i have never had dany experience with the threads where they have been shredded before like this...

thanks guys

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

GET SOME KROIL. (I don't sell it; it just works when nothing else does.)

Soak the studs down with Kroil and let sit for a while; heat the head gently with a propane torch; double-nut the studs, and unscrew and replace them.

The "tool" referred to above is a simple rethreading die, and not a bad first step even if the studs are so torn up as to need replacing. Even if you're going to double-nut them and replace them as I've suggested, you'll still want to clean up the threads first. It's a good suggestion.

Having some common (for our bikes) sizes of taps and dies in the toolbox isn't a bad idea with these old bikes.