1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

welding

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by medicaldawg, Apr 24, 2011.

1. medicaldawg

medicaldawg New Member

Im turning my 81 650xj into a hard tail. I read some where on here to be sure and unplug the yics before welding on the frame. Could some one tell me where the heck it is and how to unplug it. 8)

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

It's not the YICS. It's the TCI ignition module. Not sure where it is on the 650's. On the Seca 750's it's under the left side cover.

3. motorduck

motorduck Member

It's the same place on the 650s.

4. medicaldawg

medicaldawg New Member

please forgive my ignorance. Ive owned this bike about three weeks first one of this kind ive owned. Is it the metal box with the cooling fins?

5. medicaldawg

medicaldawg New Member

And while there is still some doubt left about if I know what im doing or not. I will go ahead and remove it by asking this question. Should i use black iron pipe or steel pipe?

6. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

If you are TIG welding make sure that there is little to no gaps between the mating parts (notch pieces to fit). If you are going to SMAW (stick) or GMAW (Mig), then you should leave a slight gap or even bevel the pieces (after notching) you are adding to help with penetration and give a nice smooth look when finished. All paint should be ground or sanded back at least a 1/2 inch from the weld area.
    I'm assuming you are a welder and that all parts will be tacked in place on both sides and alignment checked before laying down the finish welds.
    Post some pics to show us how it goes, good luck!

7. niterider

niterider New Member

I believe this box is the r/r (regulator/rectifier). I would disconnect this one too.

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

No sir, that is your voltage regulator. You are in the right neck of the woods however, it is the black box next to it. Two connectors, one 4 pins, the other 6 pins. Unplug all including the voltage regulator to ensure you don't fry anything.
    Good luck!

9. medicaldawg

medicaldawg New Member

Ive got a friend who teaches welding shop. He is the one doing the welding so i dont kill myself. I will just unplug all those boxes to prevent any damage. lastly can i use 1" od black iron pipe or should I use 1" od steel pipe?

10. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Definitely steel!

Iron pipe is fine for decor and natural gas lines, but it's not for stressed structures.

11. medicaldawg

medicaldawg New Member

ok steel pipe it is then.