1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ignition module

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ciberratt, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ciberratt

ciberratt Member

This was touched on in a previous post of mine. the assumption is I have an incorrect ignitor (marked 83 on back in paint pen - looks like from a junk yard - but I have an 80 XJ650).

The bunrning question in my mind is whether it is really off an 83. It is marked "Type TDI 14-15A ME" and stamped "301".

I have been looking on eBay but can't make heads or tails of the marking system between years. Even bikes suposedly from the same year have different markings.

Can anyone tell me for sure what ear my ignitor is off of. based on the above markings, and if not tell me what an 80 model XJ650G ought to be marked with?

The one Ihave has a 4 position socket on its right side with all 4 connector spades in in and a six position socket on its left side with only the 4 connector spades closest to the 4 conector plug actually there. The two positions closest to the left edge of the six connector socket are blank - no connector spades in them.

Thanks!

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

The only guy that will know for sure is Chacal (xj4ever) shoot him a PM.

3. Galamb

Galamb Member

4. ciberratt

ciberratt Member

Thanks - some how I missed that when I searched.

Funny thing is. The one in my bike isn't even in that list.

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The TID14-15A number is unknown to me........I don't know what it might fit. There should be a 2nd set of numbers (such as "4H7-10") which can be a little more useful in identifying what it came off of.

The correct igniter for your model is:

HCP413
    OEM TCI Ignitor Unit
    4H7-82305-10-00

small black label marked:
    TYPE TID14-02
    4H7-10 (date code)

Terminal arrangement:
    4 + 4
    uses non-latching connector shells

Advance curve:
    10* at 1050 rpms
    12* at 1800 +/- 200 rpms
    35.5* at 4100 +/- 400 rpms
    37.5* +/- 2* at 5000 rpms

Fits:
    1980-1 650 Maxim, Midnight Maxim

We should have some good used ones available if needed.

6. ciberratt

ciberratt Member

Yea and the PO said it ran when parked - lol ...

The other numbers on mine are ME5.

I just picked up two 14-02'sa reglator and another mounting plate for just under 100 on ebay. If neither works I'll hit you up for one.

Seller for the full montey has 100% feedback and the other listed the "G" by name rather than claiming it was a 80-84 CDI unit... hopefully they both work. Then i can use one as a spare or... more likely... I'll use it to try and reverse engineer the thing, I want an inline programable box with a PIC in it so I can tweak it myself. :)

Thanks ya'll for the input. This site has made my first bike project in a decade go a LOT smoother/quicker than I could have hoped. I'd still be waiting for my factory repair manual to come in the mail and then hope it answered all my questions.

You guys are an invaluable resource. Gonna send of for the CD this weekend.

Now I just have to eBay some unneeded toys so I can order the rest of my parts. :)