1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by blk99gtp, Apr 30, 2011.

1. blk99gtp

blk99gtp New Member

i know that i am new to the fourm.

i am wanting to do a oil change on my xj650 and didn't know how many quarts the pan holds with the filter?

2. db1985

db1985 New Member

Hi, I am new too.....my manual for the XJ650G says 3.4 US qt total, 2.8 for an oil and filter change, and 2.5 for an oil change.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

On the side of the clutch cover, directly adjacent to the oil filler, is a little number cast into the metal. It says something like "2200CM3" or "2500CM3" that is the OIL CAPACITY of your bike. The "real-world" amount of oil will be approx. 200CC-300CC more than that number. I don't know where you got 3.4qt. from, but that's way too much.

Motorcycle oil comes in 1L bottles not quarts; start thinking in CC's. That's what the "CM3" after the capacity means--CCs. 2500CC=2.5 Liters.

The oil level is checked through the sight glass on the bottom of the clutch cover (on the right hand side.) The bike needs to be OFF for at least 10 minutes and on the CENTERstand. Proper oil level is above the upper marks but with a little bubble showing at the top.

You will not see any oil in the window when the bike is running or when it's on the sidestand. If you do it indicates a problem.

4. db1985

db1985 New Member

well, so much for the manual.....

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

Moved thread to appropriate forum.
    Which manual were you referring to db1985?
    The owners manual is correct as is the factory manual.

6. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You were right, but the "total" is for a "bone-dry" motor including "middle gear" cavity (7 OZ) and all the nooks and crannies.

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=23688.html

(drain all your oil /\)

7. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

I just changed the oil and filter this morning. To sum up what they're saying... you only need to buy 3 litres. I changed my filter too so my 650 took just over 2.5 litres.

Do it as the manual says. Don't forget the 2nd drain bolt. It is toward the rear on the left side by the side stand. You'll get an extra cup or so the will other wise contaminate your fresh oil.

Put like 2.25 litres in then run the bike for a few minutes. Cut it off and wait a few more minutes. Check the level and slowly add till you reach the fill line at the top of sight window.

Remember, the bike must be on center-stand or upright to read the oil correctly. If you fill it to the line while on side stand you've filled it far to much.

8. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

No. There is much more wrong with a stripped or broken middle gear drain plug than there is with having a few ounces of old oil mixed in with three quarts of new oil.

If you search this board you'll find a number of horror stories from people that decided to open that second drain plug. It is not worth the risk.

9. db1985

db1985 New Member

Rob, I was referring to the Yamaha XJ650G Service Manual ( marked LIT-11616-01-94 and 4h7-28197-10) at page 128 which had the U.S. quarts as well as Metric (which is what we use here in OZ)...I posted the U.S. version...but the metric equivalent is 3,200cc total amount: 2,650cc for oil and filter change and 2,350cc for oil change....so it seemed right in my (limited) experience. I've only got 1 XJ....the rest of my bikes are other makes.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

Ah... pesky conversions are a pain. Pity we can't all be on the same page (i.e. metric), life would be MUCH simpler.