1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dwayne Verhey's site?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tumbleweed_biff, May 1, 2011.

1. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

A long time ago, there was a post referencing the site in the title of this as a good place to get instructions on performing a sync using a color tune, would anyone know where to find that or have a link to something comparable? I finally got a colortune and am trying to figure out how to get a good sync using it.

2. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

You can't sync your carbs using a colortune. You have to use a vacuum sync tool.

3. BillB

BillB Active Member

KrS14 right on the money.
    You will colortune though. I have one also. Screw in the tool. Start the engine. Sight the ignition in the tool. Adjust the mix screw until the ignition fire is Blueish in color. Run the bike around a town a bit. Check the plugs to verify that they are coloring correctly (the color brown).

4. db1985

db1985 New Member

there are some great instructions from Dwayne on the XJCD called An Introduction to The ColourTune Plug, with clear colour photos of what to look for...well worth the $10....get it through http://www.xjcd.org/

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

KrS14 is correct, as is Bill. You will eventually need the ColorTune, but AFTER the carbs are sync'ed. You need to do a running vacuum sync first, then use the ColorTune to help get the mixtures set.

AFTER you've checked and adjusted your valves.

6. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

Sorry folks, brain fart. Confusing things here.

Yes Fritz, valve clearances already checked and a couple of shims replaced.

I tried a home made sync tool before, but didn't have much success with it, so I just broke down and ordered something of of ebay. I believe someone here had a picture of the setup at one point and said good things about it. Some sort of board with 4 gauges attached and then hose/connectors to go to the carbs. The pic I saw here, the user had it propped up on the gauge cluster.