1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I finally have some room!!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JeffK, May 5, 2011.

  1. JeffK

    JeffK Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,208
    Likes Received:
    81
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Just North of Annapolis MD
    Hey guys,

    I'm very happy to tell all that GAFF that I finally got my buyer of the gsr-x to pick up his bike and my GF's cm400a buyer picked hers up a few days ago. The funny part of both was the lack of planning on both buyers part. My buyer shows up from 400 miles away with 10 minutes notice. I guess he didn't care if he got there and no one was home? He had no idea how he was going to get his bike into the back of his truck. I hooked him up and donated a couple of ratchet straps because he was going to lay it on its side and it would have beat itself to death on his return trip.

    Her buyer gives her 6 hours notice and she calls me asking me to call the driver. I call the guy who is just leaving Long Island and find he has a 53' flatbed behind a tractor....so I break the news to him that he isn't going to be able to get his rig around our traffic circles in my community. He calls his dispatcher who tells him to find a local company to pick it up from me then transfer it to his truck. I give him the numbers of a couple of local tow companies. I found out later that her buyers company, gives the shipping company a lot of work so that explained why they ate the cost of hiring a local rollback to come and pick the bike up.

    I finally have some room to work and to move things around. First thing I did was to get my 650Turbo out from the tight corner it was in and gave it a proud, accessable spot, second from the end. I still need to go up to the MVA to get it tagged and I'm going to try and get that done in the next week.

    It's nice not to have to become a gymnist to get to any of the bikes to start them up. I even had room to jack up my 75 H2 so I could remove the forks to install my NOS fork ears. I had to leave it up though until my new rubber dampers arrive. The old ones were trash. Then I can put on my headlight and my NOS fender. Since I had the forks off, I polished them so they shine so bright. No, it's not the factory look but I can take them to a satin finish with a bit of 800 and 1000 grit easy enough if I want to later. I also repacked the front wheel bearings since most of the work was already done.

    Yeah, it's definitely time to get the tag for the turbo. That bike is so much fun to ride and seems to draw a lot of attention for a bike that isn't all that much different from a lot of the bikes of today. I was surprised the first time I stopped for gas and had strangers walk up. I even had one guy knock on my front door when he spied it parked in my driveway. I'm a little more used to it now.


    jeff
     
  2. iwingameover

    iwingameover Active Member

    Messages:
    2,145
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Maryland
    Nice day to ride. I rode in to work this morning. A bit cool but not too bad.

    Hit up a tag and title place you'll be out in about 5 minutes with a plate.
     
  3. MidnightSmoke

    MidnightSmoke Member

    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Dahlonega GA
    Hey Jeff,
    If your love for the turbo keeps growing, as I suspect it will, it may find it's way to the number 1 spot in the lineup, lol. I always enjoy your posts, keep 'em coming.
     
  4. JeffK

    JeffK Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,208
    Likes Received:
    81
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Just North of Annapolis MD
    I checked with one of the guys that works for me iwing.. to get an idea of how much they charge. It's about double what you pay at the "official" mva but for 100 bucks in taxes and an historic tag & title, it might be worth it.....since the premium should only be around 60-75 dollars.

    Yeah Midnight, when my vstrom accelerates, the noise level increases proportionally to the speed. The addictive component of the turbo is that the speed increases exponentially to the sound level. It's a very, very strange sensation and one that I'm not used to yet. I'm not trying to sound aloof or like a braggart but what's REALLY strange is to take the vstrom out, then switch to a 2 stroke triple, then take the turbo out, then my CB350....it's amazing the inherent differences beween them and those differences are really magnified when you ride them back to back to back to back.

    jeff
     
  5. iwingameover

    iwingameover Active Member

    Messages:
    2,145
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Maryland
    Call Laurel tag and title on 198 in Laurel. I want to say it was $30 bucks for my truck tag and title. But I was there maybe 5 minutes on my lunch hour.

    I went to MVA on thursday last week to get a lein added to my truck title and it took them almost 2 hours to call my number, then the lady messed up the new title she made me and i pointed it out I thought she was going to charge me again. Two hours to do something I could have done at home with a typewriter.

    Atleast I was already off work that day. It may cost more but my employer values my time at more than the $30 and the people were at least friendly, unlike the MVA people.
     
  6. JeffK

    JeffK Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,208
    Likes Received:
    81
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Just North of Annapolis MD
    That's a great idea...I pass 198 at Laurel every morning on my way to the office and while I normally don't go home the same way, I can in order to stop there. That would be nice, to deal with decent mva people. I've often joked that part of their training must be "how to pi** people off while just looking like you're stupid".

    Dang, now I wish I had grabbed the title this morning. I'll call them later this morning.
    Thanks!!

    jeff
     

Share This Page