1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cluch engages at high rpm

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jay410_85maxim750, May 14, 2011.

1. jay410_85maxim750

jay410_85maxim750 New Member

hey fellas just wondering if anyone knows why my clutch would be trying to kick in when i hit about 7 or 8000 rpm... it only happens when im given it and only for a second ! I am thinkin maybe i have to much oil in it but it looks good on the filler window so i just dont know what other possibilities it could be and suggestions would be great!!! thanx

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sure. It's clutch rebuild time (or you're using car oil.) Answer the following, maybe we can figure it out:

How many miles on the bike?

WHAT bike?

Its history and your history with it?

What oil are you running?

3. jay410_85maxim750

ok the bike has almost 93000 kms on it i know its high i just got the bike over the winter and i havent done anything to it ! i used motorcycle oil i put 10w 50 in it .. the bike is a 85 750 maxim-x.. it runs great !!!

4. bigfitz52

You more than likely are due for a clutch refurb.

Normally, that would consist of friction plates and springs; however at your mileage you may need plain plates as well, and possibly a hub and/or basket. You'll have to disassemble and inspect to determine that.

Clutch guts: Even though this is for the 550/600, most all of it applies to the bigger bikes as well, except the plain plates don't have tabs to worry about or a "clutch boss spring." Plate and spring counts may be different too, but the principles are the same: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=29541.html

5. jay410_85maxim750

wow not sure i have the skills to do this myself and its prob gonna cost a small fortune to have it done!!! thanx for the help bigfitz52

6. jay410_85maxim750

its just kinda wierd that it only happens when i really get on it ,,, i can give it pretty good and get er going but when i honk on it lol thast when it seems to jump out of gear for a split second! thanx again for your help!

7. bigfitz52

It's not weird at all, that is the early symptom of a worn out clutch. I doubt it's slipping out of gear, you'd feel that differently. Your original diagnosis is likely correct.

8. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Your clutch releases when you get on it, because there isn't enough friction in the clutch to transfer that extra torque. Wear can happen gradually, you'll only really notice the difference when you go from worn plates to brand-spanking new plates. But it'll get worse until you change them, and you'll be glad you did.

Replacing your clutch is SUPER easy. Make sure to get a gasket as well as the parts BigFitz mentioned. You can put it on it's side stand, and you won't even have to drain the oil! No need to take it in to anyone.

It's a bunch of steps, but the "skills" involved consist of loosening bolts, torquing the bolts to spec, soaking parts in oil, scraping a gasket, and following directions. You CAN do it, and you'll be proud of yourself when you do and the clutch performs flawlessly.

If you don't have one already, get a workshop manual.

9. jay410_85maxim750

thanx alot fellas really greatfull for the info!!! i am going to do it my self after reading the page bigfitz posted a couple times i think i can tackle this myself!! I will let ya know how i made out!

10. webgringo

webgringo New Member

Hey, if ur lucky it could be the rev limiter.

Had mine disconected, and when i put it back on i hit that a few times, tought it was clutch rebuild time.