1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

chopping my 81 xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Thrasher81650, May 19, 2011.

1. Thrasher81650

Thrasher81650 New Member

Ok i recently picked up an 81 maxim 650 from a friend for free. Runs rides just needs a few little things. he had chopped off the mufflers and welded turndown tips on it sounds pretty good and all but the bike itself is all original stock everything i removed the grab bar and started to trim down the seat. my plan is to go with a harley bob rear fender some one inch rise drag bars and a sportster 2 up seat. any ideas would help just looking for a low cost build just to make it look more modern. \

any advise or ideas would help this is my first maxim project

2. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Pictures will help tremendously when re-doing your bike, so please post some before and after photos of it.
    I have a Sporster seat on mine (it fits perfect) and mini ape handlebars (actually from a Honda Goldwing) with 4" risers.
    There's no end to the mods you can make if your good at fabricating stuff like I am. Sportster mufflers also work well for these bikes. They have a nice deep throaty sound without being loud.

[​IMG]

3. Thrasher81650

Thrasher81650 New Member

painter do you have the stock rear fender on you bike?