1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Give Me A Brake!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by luminaman, May 25, 2011.

1. luminaman

luminaman Member

I'm about to throw in the towel. All I want is a front brake system that works. So, I removed the calipers, cleaned the pistons, installed new seals, and put in new pads. I rebuilt the master cylinder (after cleaning out the bore which by the way was smooth). I put nice new copper washers in at the junctions. BUT, after bleeding the system, the brakes are mushy. SO, I took everything apart, checked my work, and put it all back together. THE BRAKES ARE STILL MUSHY. What gives?! :?

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You didn't say what bike, but try this - - barely break loose the first banjo fitting at the Master, and act like it's a bleed screw. Air hides in there.
    Use towels!!!
    After that, the advise is braided stainless lines.

3. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

when you bleed them make sure you don't let all the pressure go out when you open the bleeder screw/bolt. Just crack it open a bit and close it once fluid comes out. Took me a while to get a good brake 'handle'.

4. luminaman

luminaman Member

When you say to only open the bleeder screw a little: do I pump up the pressure in the master cylinder, hold the handle "in", and then open & close?

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Pump up the pressure; hold pressure and open the bleeder. The lever will begin to "relax" toward the bar. Just before it bottoms out, re-tighten the bleeder.

Repeat.

Be sure you keep the master full; if you "suck wind" you have to start over.

6. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Yes, as Fitz says, pressurize, crack open, tighten, re-pressurize.
    It won't take much at the banjo fitting, but makes a world of difference.

Just remembered to also turn your forks left-right, and strike softly with a rubber mallet or shoe, and re-bleed the calipers. That dislodges tiny air bubbles.
    Then, after riding a few hundred miles, re-bleed any residual air bubbles.