1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pod Filters Need Bigger Jets?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jnelson65us, May 29, 2011.

1. jnelson65us

jnelson65us New Member

I've got a 1981 XJ 550 Maxim with Mikuni Carbs. I bought it from a friend about seven years ago, I rode it for about three years but always had problems with idling and stalling. My friend said the carbs just needied to be synced. I got busy with other projects and let the bike sit. Now I'm determined to get it running right. I've taken the carbs off and started cleaning them and have used many of the threads on here as a resource. The PO replaced the air box with pod air filters. Could this contribute to my carb problems? Do I need bigger main jets? I thought I read something about that but wasn't sure. Thanks, this forum has really helped.

2. iandmac

iandmac Member

Do a general search on "pods". After only a few minutes reading I decided to keep my air box and stock filter. Your pods have just increased the air volume in the engine (alot) and it will need lots more fuel, but the question is, at what revs? The different jets (and air jets) have all been balanced to work with the stock air cleaner so they smoothly transition from one rev range to the next. I couldn't be bothered re-engineering the whole intake/fuel/exhaust system on my bike for a few extra horsepower. Good luck with it, Cheers, Ian

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

As above, you will likely need to rejet to get a pod-equipped bike running reliably again, especially a 550.

Look in XJ4Ever's catalog; in the carb section there is a nice "basic" set of guidelines for rejetting based on what mods you might have to your carbs and/or exhaust system.

4. jnelson65us

jnelson65us New Member

Thanks, I dont have the stock airbox any more so I guess I'll be re-jetting.

5. skillet

skillet Active Member

Good Luck with it! Keep us posted on your progress...

skillet