1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xs400 maxim Oil in air box problems.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jonnymaritime, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

Sooo, I ran the bike for 5 min .
    drained the oil 400ml came out......yikes!
    changed the filter and added 2.5 L 20 w 50
    now I have oil filling up my air box.
    I pulled the breather hose and ran the bike for a min
    no oil is coming out of the breather hose....
    Any clues to wtf is happening here ? this happened yesterday, so to date I changed the oil twice in 48 hrs.
    Is it possible to install an oil filter wrong? (changed the O rings ) .
    The bike still has power and there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust.

My fill guage is nearly black , so I cant tell what the oil level is , I just know the bike takes 2.2L for oil and 2.5 L when the filter is changed . xs400

Is the oil not draining out completely ? Is 20W 50 4 stroke bad for the bike ?
    do I have to change the gaskets, and piston rings? Do I light the bike on Fire?

discouraged.

2. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

I drove the bike for about 150 km since Ive owned it, Has plenty of pep. I should mention this problem has only started since I did the oil change.

The bike starts , idles fine, has pep, no pinging... just keeps pissing oil .

3. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

They do that when they are overfilled with oil common problem easy fix

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's overfilled almost for sure unless your petcock AND floats all started acting up at the same time.

I'm thinking for whatever reason it wasn't all drained out to begin with, or you're not getting it all drained out. You are doing this on the CENTERSTAND, right?

Is there a little "2200CM3" cast into your case by the filler? Or is it a different number?

5. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

how much oil are you putting in it. Its says on the qt of oil i believe a qt is.946 litre with oil filter change is 2.6 qts without filter its 2.2. Hopefully you did not do any damage with less then a half qt oil in it. If its not smoking thats a good sign. You usually don't see it with motorcycles hopefully the whole inside of the motor isn't caked up with sludge since your window is black and there was so little oil in it. Air cooled motorcycles get rid of a lot of heat thru the oil

6. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

I do my oilchanges , chain degrease and lubes , always on the centerstand, thats the beauty and practicality of it :) . Yes there is a little "2200CM3" on the case .
    Im putting in 2.6qrts with the oil change .

So whats the fix ? I thought draining it and refilling it would solve the problem...So now what I just ride it untill all the extra overflows out , should i attach the breather hose to an empty oil can and collect whatever it pukes out ?lol.
    Is there an upside to the oil filter?
    why wouldnt all the oil come out in the first place. .... this was never a problem with my xj650. ....maybe removing the crankcase cover , cleaning it up and closing it up is a good idea(new gasket of course). It sucks not being able to see what the level is.

And why all of a sudden now that the bike is parked on centerstand with the breather hose off the air box is there no oil coming out , when I go through the gears?

7. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

btw I installed a ballstop valve between the petcock and carbs when I brought her home.

And there is a 2 into one exhaust on it now. with a sportster baffle in the pipe so it shouldn't be running lean...much. If this info is of any importance.

8. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

I made a dipstick with a straw trying to follow the same angle as the filler screw cap' When I dip into the filler hole I can see the oil is 2 inches (5.08cm) from the Oring . I am way overfilled eh?where should it be approx?

9. chevy314

chevy314 New Member

I had my son replace the oil in my XJ700 and he over filled it. He thought that when he removed the oil filter it would drain all the oil. I showed him the oil plug found on the bottom of the bike. Opened the plug, wiped it clean (I belive the tip is a magnet to collect any metal), replace the 2 o-rings if needed, screw it back on (finger tight plus 1/4 turn), fill will oil.

Hope this helps.

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Let's start here. The 2200CM3 means 2200CC's, that's the oil capacity. That's 2.2 litres, or 2.3 quarts. So it sounds like you're overfilling by about 400CC.