1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

painting the engine

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by seca750, Jun 5, 2011.

1. seca750

seca750 Member

While replacing the valve cover I noticed that the stuff I used to loosen the bolts got on the rubber boots to the engine. Well they looked like they were melting! So I sprayed the bolts to take them off and ended up breaking 4 out of 8! Fun Fun! I have ordered kroil and plan on using that and a reverse drill bit to take care of the bolts. Since I have the carbs off I was thinking about painting the engine. I've never painted a motorcycle before, so what kind of prep work will I need to do besides taping off and covering what I don't want painted?

Thanks!

2. Knight3179

Knight3179 Member

Soda blasting is the way to go, time consuming but does no damage to the alloy below, and washes away with a little water, leaving a next to perfect surface for painting
    Obviously make sure everything is well sealed up before

3. ktp1598

ktp1598 Member

I have painted a couple of engines and I usually go the cheap way. I clean it up using a good quality degreaser with various brushes and use rags or pieces of rags to cover all holes into the engine. I then tape off anything I don't want painted using blue painters tape. Then I use the 500 degree paint sold at Autozone. Any chips and I just cut a small hole in paper and put that over the chip to mask from pant overspray. Cheap but it usually turns out good for my useage. I might only ride 1K a year.