1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

float needle clip.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by skyhawk, Jun 28, 2011.

  1. skyhawk

    skyhawk Member

    Messages:
    172
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    I thought I read on this board somewhere that it does mattter which way the needle clip is attached on the float on Mikuni carbs. I've been looking for a couple hours... Does anyone know the answer???
     
  2. Hvnbnd

    Hvnbnd Active Member

    Messages:
    1,277
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    St. Johns, Arizona
    Sorry dont know
     
  3. andrewlong

    andrewlong Member

    Messages:
    643
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Cumming, GA
    Well, you must first realize the purpose of the clip on the needle valve. It's there to ensure the needle valve opens in the [rare] case it gets stuck [closed], or there is no gas to push it open.

    Having said that, it needs to be positioned the best way so that it pulls the needle valve down the straightest.

    Which orientation that is, I am not sure. But if you have the carbs readily available for needle valve inspection I'm sure a couple swings of the float would give you the answer.

    All in all, I don't think it matters.
     
  4. chacal

    chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

    Messages:
    9,391
    Likes Received:
    2,092
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The room where it happened
    NOTE2: on all of the float needles that use a retaining clip, please note that the clip can be installed in two different ways (orientations). User experience indicates that the clip should be positioned so that the "open" area of the clip (that part of the clip that snaps over the ridge on the top of the needle) should be oriented towards the "back" of the carbs; in other words, the open area of the clip should be towards the airbox.

    NOTE3: on all of the float needles that use a central, spring-loaded "plunger" at the float end, please note that this plunger is designed to act as a "shock absorber" and is not normally depressed in normal operation, and the float heights and fuel levels should not be set with this plunger depressed. Doing so will result in a vastly incorrect fuel level setting and will lead to carb flooding.
     
  5. skyhawk

    skyhawk Member

    Messages:
    172
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    Thank You Chacal. Note #2 I read somewhere on this board....
    I must be having a senior moment because I could not find it in the numerous posts I printed and read. :)
     

Share This Page