1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ550 Maxim engine removal

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by J.R., Mar 5, 2007.

1. J.R.

J.R. New Member

O.K. reading the manual it seems to say that I have to take the heads off to remove my engine. Am I wrong or does that seem odd? In orde to remove it the Clymer says to take to clutch and tranny out I must be reading it wrong if I'm not can someone suggest a way not to go though all that, as I don't have an air rachet to do that. UGGHHH I'm so close to finishing it but am just stuck. HELP PLEASE

2. jkurtzb

jkurtzb New Member

I'm not an expert, but I have installed and removed that motor several times and did not have to remove the heads or anything besides the carbs and airbox. You'll have to show it some love, give it a hug, and rotate the motor slightly in the frame to get it to come out. Sorry, I don't remember how far and in what direction as it has been 3 years or so ago since I had to do it. Get a friend to help you as the job is not back friendly!

BTW. The Honda CB350 Four that I owned had the same problem of engine removal. You had to rotate the motor just right to get it to come out. I see that the newer motorcycle full frames now come with a removable piece to make this much easier!

3. J.R.

J.R. New Member

thanks I thought the book was being a little conservative

4. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

Conservative?....no, just sloppy.

You have to remove the engine in order to split the cases before getting the transmission out.

As a general rule, bike engines all come out as a single big lump, with only the intake, exhaust, wiring, and assorted plumbing removed.

5. Alive

Alive Active Member

I removed one last year... Stripped the whole thing down first (not the engine, the bike). Did not have to remove the head, just the carbs.

After removing all the mounts, exhaust etc, I lay it down it on its side so the engine was sitting on the ground and removed the frame from the motor :)

6. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

Same Here!...when I removed my engine I put the bike on it's side (after removing most of the mounts) and using a few pully straps lifted the bike off the motor...pretty much effortless...installing was just doing the reverse and was just as easy!

7. lowlife

lowlife Member

Easiest way to do lots of bikes , especially the XS's

8. Nick

Nick Member

9. jkurtzb

jkurtzb New Member

I guess I should have mentioned that I weigh in at around 180lbs and have a good back so the "hugging" method worked fine for me. That's a lot of work to remove all the heavy stuff from the frame to be able to lift it off the motor! :D

10. J.R.

J.R. New Member

I just got the motor out WOO HOO thanx for the advise on laying it on it's side worked like a charm all I needed was my son to help balance it while I pulled it out. now I just need to get it tweeked or maybe even going with a bigger engine. I'll let you guys know how it goes.