1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. 213chrisp

213chrisp Member

bad contacts in the swtich? seems to be common with the srping in the electric swtich on the bars.

2. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

If it started with a screwdriver sounds like a bad solenoid. All a solenoid does is connect the two posts when electricity is applied to it's internal coil. They can be rebuilt but your better off buying one from Len.

3. dirtripper25

dirtripper25 New Member

Well the button has always worked perfectly. I had this problem previously, but simply moving the kickstand safety switch i ended up getting it to work. How do I eliminate the safety features all-together? (Clutch, Kickstand, etc.) I'm not sure where that switch is located. I'd rather eliminate that before going ahead with the new solenoid. Thanks for the quick replies! Maybe I should post this in another thread as to not clutter this one? Any posts after this I will put on a new thread. Thanks guys!

4. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

I believe you just unplug the kickstand switch.

5. gman

gman Member

Spent the afternoon fighting with the bolts to replace the carb joints.

Bike 1:

Me: 0

Try again tomorrow

6. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

Changed the fork oil from 10w to 20w. Smoother ride.

7. 213chrisp

213chrisp Member

Got mine tag'ed and titled for the road, tomorrow night or thursday will be my first open road expereience, im ready to ride :)

8. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

[​IMG]
    I get off work, go to start my bike and itl turn, but won't start. Tried a little ether and still nothing. Turned out the ignition fuse blew. Had my girlfriend bring my meter to work and i tracked down a short somewhere near the kill switch.

Got her back home with some sunlight to spare.

9. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Added sportster mufflers...well, almost done. Gotta go get them welded in place now! Sooooo much quieter!

10. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Ordered custom designed reflective + black print decals.

Tank 4
    Fairing 4
    Side covers 4
    Saddlebags & trunk 5

Pics and vendor review eventually.

11. 213chrisp

213chrisp Member

just put 30 miles on her , first trip out, had a blast and everything worked good :)

12. gman

gman Member

Scraping off the po's idea of art work on the tank.
    Might paint it tomorrow

13. the_bandit

the_bandit Member

Been push-starting the thing for the last week, bought new battery, worried about finding and installing brushes.

Come to find out that starter gunk was causing it. Needless to say it fires like a champ now.

Couldn't have done it without this site and XJCD.

14. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Started Maintenance.

Front Master Kit.
    Ordering Stainless Brake Lines
    New Rear Shoes
    New Rear Tire -- Got a deal on a Dunlop D404 ... 84-Bucks; delivered.
    New Grips
    Signal Light Stems

15. SecaSuca

SecaSuca Member

installed a new bulb in the 82 Seca's 9" bucket. New fuse box. New battery. Wired in indicators in the custom mini speedo.
    Got rid of a lot of extra wires.
    New clip on bars.
    My nose is getting closer to the front tire all of the time!

16. gman

gman Member

Rebuilt the petcock, thanks for the tutorial.
    Stripped the old paint off the gas tank. Someone had a funny idea of art.

17. Obiter_Dictum

Obiter_Dictum New Member

Checked valve clearance and broke off an ignition cover screw. Here's hoping for a successful ez-out.

18. gman

gman Member

Son repainted the tank. Looks brand new and removed the rust from inside the tank

Found treasures inside the tank, Spring and washer. Consider everything else on this bike. Nothing surprises me.

19. unknown

unknown New Member

Hooked up a Trail Tech Vapor computer yesterday, got it calibrated and set up today and took it on a 50 mile test run. I wasn't sure what the differences were between models so I accidentally ended up getting one for an ATV, wasn't a problem though, as I made it all work except for the temp sensor which isn't a big deal to me at the moment, but I'll find a solution to that later.

Got nothing but good things to say about it though, this thing works fantastic, the speed is at least 99% accurate from the tests I've done, whereas my stock speedo was extremely far off starting at 25mph and getting progressively worse to the point where I'm actually going about 60% faster than what it shows. RPM sensor is nice, but a little jumpy, when my stock one shows 1100rpm steady, the Vapor system will jump between 850rpm to 1380rpm but atm it's just coiled around one of my spark plug wires, I'll be wiring it up to the coil directly tomorrow.

It works in sunlight perfectly fine, however the screen does reflect the sun so it's impossible to view while the sun is directly behind you, granted I can't see my stock speedo in those situations either.

I'm keeping the stock gauges on there, and have mounted this directly in the center of the handle bars and right under the stock gauges. I just hope it doesn't get stolen seeing as I live in an apartment and lack a garage! I read all over the internet about people worrying about it getting stolen since the backlight stays on for 20 minutes after you shut off the bike, well that's only true if you wire it directly to the battery, I have mine wired to the headlight so when the bike is flipped on, the Vapor unit goes out of low power mode and turns on, when you turn the key off, the unit's backlight immediately shuts off and after a few minutes will go into low power mode(turns off sensors and displays a clock).

Anyway, thanks to Carvall for his thread and answering all my Q's about it, and if anyone is interested in how it looks on the bike, I can take a pic of it.

20. Massimo33

Massimo33 Member

Removed cams last night in preparation for pulling the head tonight. Scary and exciting all in one package!