1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca bobber progress

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by shibby7, Jun 15, 2011.

1. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

I had started a post a few months back in the general lounge when I first introduced myself, but felt that the continuation of the post would best be suited for the modifications section. Here is a link the the prior post with some comments: New Seca Bobber.

I am now in the process of reassembling the bike. This past Sunday I was able to mount the motor in the frame, attach the front end, add the rear wheel, install the battery box, and layout a few wires. Here are a couple of new pics and all of the prior pics: Flickr

2. skillet

skillet Active Member

Lookin' good! Would be NICE to be able to set up a paint booth like that...

skillet

3. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

I am fortunate. My dad just built a new wood shop and had built the paint booth so that he could stain and finish all of his projects. He didn't mind adding a few extras so that I could use it for painting too. He also built a really nice ventilation system for the booth. Even though my paint did not turn out the best on the tank and battery box do to my lack of experience, i must say that there is not a speck of dust in any of the paint.

4. skillet

skillet Active Member

My cycle shop was originally my wood shop (I built). Knew I should have built it BIGGER (sob)!!!

skillet

5. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

Bike is nearing completion. Finally got a chance to put several hours of work into it today. Here is a link to some pics of the progress: flickr. I decided to try some old dirt bike bars on it. Not sure what bars the bike will actually end up with.

[​IMG]

6. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Member

Very nice!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

Thanks for the comment and thanks for posting a couple of the pics in the forum. I couldn't get the pics to load.

8. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

I heat wrapped the exhaust today and hid some more wires under the tank. It was my first time using heat wrap. In no way did the wrap turn out perfect, but for a Seca bobber it passes with an A+. Click on the link for some pics of todays work. Flickr

9. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

I was able to take the bobber out for a test ride today. It ran great, but that didn't come without some issues first. I did get the newly wrapped exhaust installed. I checked over all the bolts for tightness. Installed the petcock. Added in inline fuel filter. Mounted the tank. I turned the fuel on the bike practically started right up. It was good to hear it running again. But now the problems started. The carbs were leaking like sivs(sp). Gas was coming out from almost everywhere. I figured it was probably because all the gaskets and seals had dried up and shrank. The carbs have been off the bike for nearly a year. So, I turned the gas off and let the bike run until the fuel was out of the bowls. I let the bike set for about a half hour while I ate lunch and tired the whole process again with fingers crossed. This time I there was no leaks and the bike still ran great. Now for the next issue. I needed to connect the rear brake light switch and adjust it. While attempting to get the brake light switch to work, my tail light and signals went out. I figure i must of blown a fuse some how. I did tug on some wires, so it was probably all my fault. The bad part about blowing a fuse or having any electrical issues is that the vast majority of my electronics and fuses are stuffed in the battery box/false oil tank. No I had to remove the battery and pull out all the wires. Sure enough a blown fuse. I found out that the brake switch was the faulty part. The front brake switch was working so I started it back up, adjusted the clutch cable and took it for a spin around the yard. This was about the time when I noticed that I never did tighten the bolts on the front left caliper. I thought I had checked everything early on, but good thing I caught it before I took the bike out on the road. I have some very cheap foam grips that I attempted to install. The left grip went on with ease, but I did manage to tear the throttle grip. I am no searching the market for new grips. The bar end mirrors when on perfectly. No sure they go that well with the theme of the bike, but they will do for now. After checking everything again i finally hit the road. I couldn't be much happier. The bike ran great!!!!! Here is a link to some pics from today flickr.

10. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Member

That is looking good. Glad you got those issues resolved.
    [​IMG]

11. skillet

skillet Active Member

Lookin' NICE!!!

skillet

12. wolfsbane

wolfsbane New Member

mate any chance of some bigger pic of your bike
    just about to start one and like it but cant see properly
    pm me and ill give my email

wassa

13. badfish502

badfish502 Member

I must have gotten lucky with my XJ because it only blew 1 fuse and that was prior to removing and cleaning/di-electric greasing my entire loom front to back, including sanding all the points where anything electrical bolts to the frame and anywhere corrosion was found (ignition switch, starter switch, etc)

yay good for me right? My point is that I use circuit breakers in place of fuses with no problems as yet...

I have the breakers with the mounting tabs and I have a small scrap piece of plastic that is screwed to the airbox lid with drywall screws and then the breakers are screwed to the scrap piece with clear silicone covering the drywall screws to keep the mounting plate screws from backing out....

Im using 15amp breakers in place of 10 (cuz I cant find 10amp breakers) with no ill effects.

An added bonus of breakers is you can keep riding while the short is tripping the breaker, you cant do that with fuses!!

Anyway I just wanted to share my experiences....

Jay

14. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

Thanks for the info about your breakers. Luckily I haven't had anymore issues with the fuses and the bike is running strong.