1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What kind of gas mileage are you fellows getting?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by EarlGrey, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Obiter_Dictum

Obiter_Dictum New Member

5.7L/100Km. It means I have to fill up after about 300K. I am currently planning a trip from Winnipeg to Victoria to San Francisco and cannot imagine having to do it with the 12 litre tank that most of these bikes have. As it is I will have to fill up over 20 times!

2. maybe4

maybe4 Member

I consistently get 41 mph on '82 xj650 maxim. I believe i am running slightly rich but now is not the time to be taking apart the bike :)

3. smurf667

smurf667 Member

I also forgot to mention, those fuel figures of mine are 2 up (358 lb total weight of us both) plus a back bag with 12 kilos in it

4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Even though it will take a lot longer, I think I would be appreciating a break every 200mi/300K.

Also, don't forget you'll have to switch to MPG at the border. ;-)

5. day7a1

day7a1 Member

If only there were, like, a poll or something that people could use to answer this very question
    |
    |
    V

6. Timetonut

Timetonut Member

I am getting 42mpg and that is fully loaded with me and all my books for school for an hour commute twice a day. I really need time to work out the kinks, but it is doing it's job even so.

7. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I'm getting ~47 (UK) mpg

but i'm 300 pounds so lol

8. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Member

Sorry about that. Lol, hey give me a break, I'm a new guy!

9. day7a1

day7a1 Member

That's quite alright! :)

In fact, the reason I made that poll is because I saw a lot of these same threads, but they all ended up inconclusive....the human brain just can't figure out the averages from a list, and if everyone has to post the thread would be even harder to decipher.

If I could do it again, I would put a bit more effort into it and make it say "Around 30" or "Around 35", as it is someone getting 31 mpg and someone getting 39 mpg are in the same group.

I think most people get in the low 40's, but it has a LOT to do with how and where you drive whether you get just below or a little above the 40's.

Unless you have a 550, they seem to get upper 50's...

I might try to do something to help people search....I'm pretty good at finding what I need, but I know some people have a lot of problems. I think a guide would be beneficial to n00bz and l33t alike. I'd be pretty proud if it got to be a sticky!

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Re: The 550s--

Back in the day, the magazines said the 550 got 53mpg. I get 52-56; but the 56 is a "purely highway" figure. All-around is probably pretty close to the 53mpg that the road testers got.

11. bigfitz52

UPDATE:

Did a genuine (accurate) mileage check over the last three days' worth of (brutal) commuting on my stock 550 Seca:

52.5 MPG.

12. mirco

mirco Member

Fitz - is that combined city and highway? My combined is right around 38-39 and I check my mileage every time I fill up. It looks like the 550's are consistently in the 50's and the 750's are right around 40. I am looking forward to getting my 550 running and the gas mileage will be a nice added bonus.

13. EgbertAttrick

EgbertAttrick New Member

Since July 11, I am averaging 38 MPG on a 1983 XJ750 Maxim. That is a lot of city riding, little highway.

14. mirco

mirco Member

I forgot to mention, I have the full factory touring package on my bike; fairing, side cases, and tail case. Before I put the touring package on my bike, I consistently got in the 42's.

15. Bomonghani

Bomonghani Member

52-55 MPG w/ regular gas, tho most all my miles are highway.

16. bigfitz52

It's 60mph Country roads, 90mph freeways, 50mph Boulevards, busy City Streets and Urban Combat Motocross, all stirred together. It's about as "combined" as you can get.

I took readings over three days' commutes and averaged them.

17. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Urban Combat Motocross?

Sound familiar!

18. frantic_vike

frantic_vike New Member

Hmm. When I got the bike one of the things I was really looking forward to was some decent mileage. At first it was pretty poor (low mid 20s per gallon), but it was running rough, so I had the carbs done. I've been doing the mental math every time I've filled up all summer and even though the bike feels great now, I'm consistently getting around 8.5l/100km or ~27mpg. Doesn't really seem to matter whether it's highway or commuting either. Commuting I'm doing ~10miles and rarely getting over 4k rpm.

Seems to me something must be way off. Where's the most likely culprit for that kind of inefficiency?

19. scott-s

scott-s Member

Wow...on a recent 230 mile round tri pup to Lake Lure, the FJ600 got 64 mpg! Heck, my little CB500 got 44 mpg.
    I think she's usually in the low 50's, combined riding.

My Dad has his XS650 tuned to the N'th degree and he gets high 50's without even trying and can easily get into the 60's on a hwy. run.

20. bigfitz52

Valve adjustment, float levels, carb sync. Or a combination of the three.

That being said, in under 10 miles it's not even getting fully warmed up, and 4000 rpm is the "low end" of the operating range; I always try to keep at least 4K on the tach even in slow traffic.

Keep the RPMs up a bit and see what it does; or get it warmed up and take a longer ride. Fill it first; make note of exactly how far you filled it. Go for a 30 or 40 mile ride, and top off to exact same level. Record exact amount of fuel and use that to get an average for the miles just traveled. It may just be the 'short trips/low RPM/never gets warmed up' that's doing you in, mileage-wise.