1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to Forums; First Bike, First XJ

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by EgbertAttrick, Jul 28, 2011.

1. EgbertAttrick

EgbertAttrick New Member

Hi, everyone! My name is Casey, and I'm new to the biking world, and new to this community. I just bought a 1983 XJ750 Maxim, hardtailed, and look forward to getting to know all of you, learn from you, and, hopefully, pass on knowledge that I gain, as well.

Pleased to meet all of you!

2. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Good first intro, now all we need are some pics, your location and willingness to hand out various forms of alcohol for help and you'll be all set!!! :wink: :wink:
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ya know, Max, I've noticed a certain common "thread" throughout most of your postings...

Welcome, Casey. And please do add your location (basic is all that's needed) to your profile and bike info to your sig.

4. skillet

skillet Active Member

WELCOME from TN!!!

skillet

5. OldSchoolOtter

OldSchoolOtter Member

Welcome to the XJ world!

6. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Welcome to the best forum you will ever join.

Al

7. EgbertAttrick

EgbertAttrick New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So this is my bike. The saddle bags are old-as-Hell Harley Davidson canvas bags I was given by a hoarder friend; I hope the HD guys don't beat me up. I also included a pic of the hardtail mod, as I don't think it's technically a hard tail without a weld. Is that correct?

I'm thinking of purchasing and and adding some shocks, but I'll save that for a different discussion.

You'll also notice that I broke my side stand, but I'd rather not admit how that happened...

Oh, I'm in Tampa, FL!

8. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Hey whats up! I am across from you. Was in Tampa with my bike all of 2009. Where you at in Tampa? I used to ride mine daily over there.

9. EgbertAttrick

EgbertAttrick New Member

I'm in North Tampa. Spend most of my time tooling between Carrollhood and Seminole Heights. Nothing like a bike ride to Bo's Ice Cream!

10. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

How long has cultflicks been around? Interesting page. I have to watch "The Creature From the Haunted Sea" now!

11. Maxim-X

HIC!! Better check your keyboard Fitz, your typing is looking all blurry! :roll:
    Casey, welcome to the board, that bike has good looking bones on it, as far a being a "hardtail" as long as it doesn't have any suspension I'd say that would qualify. At least without any radical mods you can actually go back to a sprung rear end if your kidneys start to bleed! 8O
    Now, how's that old saying go....."I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal labotomy"!! :wink: :wink:

12. EgbertAttrick

EgbertAttrick New Member

CultFlicks has been around for about 2 years. It has kind of been abandoned, sadly. We used to do Cult movie showings out at The Tampa Pitcher Show, but haven't done it since September of last year. We had good turnouts, but some personal problems, uh, arose between myself and some regulars (exes tend to make things weird).

In general, I don't mind the hardtail, except every once in a while, I'll hit an imperfection in the road the wrong way and BAM. Ow. I'd like to go on longer trips, so suspension may be ideal. I am not, however, mechanically inclined, so I'll need some local mechanic help.

13. Maxim-X

Hey Casey, see if you can get a couple of shots of the mounting points for the suspension, from the the back, seat off that type of thing. With a bit of luck you may be able to put a set of shocks on with the removal of just four bolts. From the pictures you already have posted it doesn't look like the mounting points have been moved or altered.
    If that's the Case(y) then when you plan on a longer ride it should take a very short time to switch over to "Comfort Mode".
    Just a thought.

14. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I was thinking the same thing. You do not have to be a mechanic to put shocks on it. It would consist of getting the parts and bolting them on... Kinda like Ikea...

15. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Coommeee inn anndd knowww meee bettteerrr, mannnnnnnnn

Glad to have ya, Casey!

16. lostboy2

lostboy2 Member

Welcome from VA, Casey. Nice looking bike.

17. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Casey - my first bike is an XJ also - WHEEEEEEE!
    For the love of god be safe! There is alot of stupid out there!
    This is a very good group - I have already learned alot and also picked up some words that my mother never taught me. :wink:

18. EgbertAttrick

EgbertAttrick New Member

The last word I learned was "sphygmomanometer." I'd kill to learn some new cussin' words, LOL.

19. bluesdog

bluesdog Member

Hi from Canada, eh?

Have you checked that rear brake? These old bikes have old brake shoes, and they can delaminate -- which can be really bad news if they fail catastrophically while you're riding...

Pretty easy to check/replace. And may just save your life.

Cheers!

20. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Member

Thats a hard tail. Just an easier way to accomplish it without cutting off the whole rear end of the bike and welding on a new one. It was probably done to lower the rear end of the bike. I have something similar done to my bike.
    [​IMG]
    All you have to do is get some shocks that fit and they will bolt right on. I wouldn't do that on my bike because of the look, but your bike looks pretty stock except for the shocks and exhaust. I have gotten very good at watching out for imperfections in the road and lifting up off the seat by "standing" on the pegs.
    ebay xj750 shocks search
    I like your bike. Enjoy!