1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First time fiberglassing anything!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by KERST4LIFE, Aug 7, 2011.

1. KERST4LIFE

KERST4LIFE Member

Well here it is in its primative stage, still have a 3rd layer to do, some more shaping around the cowl, cut out for the light, then sanding, body filler, sanding, body filler, sanding.... until its right. then drill out the bolt holes to mount it (glassed in washers for a little renforcement) and mount the integrated tail light. Then I have to either figure out a way to upolster it or take it to someone. So far I put in a good 10hrs on the first two layers, counting prep and shaping. I wish I took more pictures when I started but it was one of those spur of the moment ideas to just dive right in. I am happy with the outcome so far, all that space under the cowl looks like a good place to hide electronics ;) enjoy

[​IMG]

2. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Looks good so far. I like how the rear cowl matches the lines of the tank.

If you can do glasswork. You should have no problem doing the cover. Make sure you mold in a lip around the edge for the staples to get a good bite.

A little info to help you with the upholstery. diymotorcycleseat.com.

Ghost

3. AlbuquerqueChoppers

AlbuquerqueChoppers Member

Good stuff! Nothing like doing it yourself...it's just sad that fiberglass materials are going thru the roof as of late! I remember getting a bag of cloth and a qt of resin for under $8..those days sure are gone!!

4. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Nice work!!

But... I think someone sold you a motorcycle with two rear wheels. :wink:

5. KERST4LIFE

KERST4LIFE Member

ha yea i got a front wheel, but it was too goofy, so i converted looks much better now

6. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Looks good! I'm a big fan of the chunky front wheel. Have you got a brake on it?

7. KERST4LIFE

KERST4LIFE Member

yea, the front disc is on there, I got a conversion kit from a member on here, it was relatively simple to put on. its not fully finished tho, I still need to put on my caliper. I have a lot to do before i get there.