1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

jets

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by lancial, Jul 28, 2011.

1. lancial

lancial New Member

Ok so I've got an 82 650 maxim and I've shimmed up the needle a lil bit. My ? Is I'm putn a turbo on my bike and idk if someone had any ideas of a jet setup for that application? My jets are stock as far as I kno. Any help would be great.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Yamaha 650 Turbo had completely different carburetors altogether; special "pressurizable" Mikunis with o-ring sealed float bowls, etc. not at all the same as what's on your Max.

I'm not sure the Hitachis are up to the task...

3. lancial

lancial New Member

so if i was able to get my hands on a set of them and maybe diff intake boots would it work as is. i wont be running more than 10psi at most

4. iandmac

iandmac Member

Get a bigger bike.

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The ONLY Foolproof way for you to transition over to TURBO is:

Sell your bike.
    Buy a Turbo.

Visit a TURBO Forum.

6. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

HA! you crack me up Rick.

My suggestion for adding turbo is to go the extra mile and run EFI. the extra effort fabbing and buying parts will pay off ten fold when it comes to tuning and getting the beast to run.

There is a lively enough debate here among this sites hundreds of regulars and thousands of on again off again posters regarding how to tune for reletively simple intake and exhaust mods that bajillions of people have done and had experience with. What you are talking about is how to tune for drastic intake and exhaust mods that very very few have experience with.
    In short, put down the dynojet catalog and head on over to megasquirt.

7. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Can't say I'm surprised at that response, considering the source.

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The ONLY --> "Foolproof" <-- way for you to transition over to TURBO is:

Sell your bike.
    Buy a Turbo.

Visit a TURBO Forum.

See the word ... "Foolproof" ... written right there. Foolproof.

Foolproof |ˈfoōlˌproōf|
    (Adjective)
    Incapable of going wrong or being misused :

I stand by exactly what I said.

9. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Predictable.

pre·dict·a·ble/priˈdiktəbəl/Adjective
    1. Able to be predicted.
    2. Behaving or occurring in a way that is expected.

I also stand by what I've said.

10. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

Girls, girls. You're both pretty.

11. bigfitz52

Kevin; The whole idea of this website is to help folks with their XJs, be they stock or modified. Not encourage them to embark on dead-end projects.

"Adding" a turbo to a stock 650 Maxim is an engineering challenge at the very least; NOT a "DIY" project of any sort unless you're an ENGINEER. Based on the context of the question, the OP is far from an engineer.

Rick's response may be "predictable" to you; but in fact, it's right on. Do YOU have the engineering expertise necessary to "put a turbo on" your 650? I sure as heck don't.

Rick's answer was very pragmatic. It's NOT a DIY kind of thing; these aren't "tuner cars." They're 30 year old motorcycles; and ya know what? About 29 years ago, Yamaha went to all the trouble and engineered a turbo. A 650. Rick's right: you want a 650 Turbo? Go buy one that's already HAD the engineering DONE. Trying to do it in your backyard with NO knowledge is just gonna result in another bike getting parted out.

He's not "nay-saying" he's doing what us old guys do: Being intelligent about the whole idea. You'll understand some day, trust me.

12. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Let's not forget that this is the "MODIFICATIONS" section of the forum. The guy is asking here for help modifying his bike. Perhaps there should be a "STOCK" section also, so those that disapprove of modifying their bike can stay there and give advice on how to revert bikes to stock after we dummys here in the mod section ruin them. The guy wanted help, I didn't give it to him because I have no experience with what he was asking, but also note I did not discourage him or tell him it cant be done or to buy another bike. In fact Fitz, you are the only one that did give him useful information.

You're right- I am pretty.

And it's not an issue of "understanding someday", I understand now- I just don't always agree. Also, age has nothing to do with intelligence, and it's not a "dead end project" just because you (or anyone else for that matter ) thinks so.

13. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Bigfitz's first comment is spot on though. You can't use the same carbs and add a turbo BEHIND the carbs. This would increase the pressure in the venturi of the carb. Fuel flows into the venturi of the standard carbs because the pressure in the float bowl is at atmosphere, and the venturi is less than atmosphere. The pressurized carbs of the 650 Turbo actually feed pressurized air from the compressor to the float bowls to utilize the veturi effect.

That's also likely why Militant_Buddhist suggested fuel injecting the bike, then you aren't relying on the venturi effect to draw fuel into the carbs.

I'd say find yourself a project turbo and start transplanting if you don't want to go EFI. You'd probably want the whole intake/exhaust/electronics (including knock sensor, TCI, etc) of the turbo. I've seen them around for $250 as project bikes if you're patient. Either way, like others have said, it's a lot more complicated than a jet kit, and it'd take a lot to get up and running. There's also a reason why you don't see New Turbos on the market, it's easier and lighter to get more power and a linear throttle response with more displacement

14. pasanby

pasanby New Member

Wonder if Alfred Büchi had this much negative feed back ? 8O

15. bigfitz52

I honestly don't think there's a "graceful" way to transplant the Turbo "infrastructure" to a standard Maxim. The Turbo was a nearly-fully faired bike for a reason-- they needed the fairing to HIDE all of the extra goings-on that are required to make the turbo work.

And you're right; the manufacturers ALL seemed to have "learned their lesson" back around 80-85; nobody's tried to do a production Turbo since. A shade-tree turbo conversion isn't completely impossible; but it DOES involve a heck of a lot more in the way of re-engineering than bolting one on and then simply rejetting the stock carbs; or even replacing them for that matter. You've got to get the exhaust into and out of the turbocharger AND provide some sort of relief valve (waste gate) plus the ignition needs to be remapped; there's the whole knock-sensor thing, etc.

The bottom line is this: If you're not an experienced automotive engineer with a deep working knowledge of exactly what IS involved, you ain't gonna pull this off in your DIY garage. I know I sure as heck couldn't and wouldn't even begin to try; but that's probably because I generally have enough sense to know my limits.

The advice to "give it up and buy a Turbo bike instead" IS the most practical, by far. Especially in this case.

16. bigfitz52

I kinda doubt it. But that was 1905, and I doubt he was trying to turbocharge a 10,000rpm DOHC four cylinder that already has a compression ratio greater than his invention would have been able to produce.

Besides, Gottleib Daimler had already invented the SUPERcharger; in 1885.

17. HESH

HESH Member

this build hasn't been finished but it will give you an idea of where to start and just how involved it is.

18. HESH

HESH Member

Sorry I saw he took a whole turbo motor after I posted.

19. pasanby

pasanby New Member

Perhaps if he had it would have led to something even greater ? :wink:

20. lancial

lancial New Member

ok well it seems like im not experienced enough, my thoughts were make a drag bike outa it since theres so many parts just layn around