1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I hate: AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, CarQuest and RadioShack

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by pygmy_goat, Aug 12, 2011.

1. pygmy_goat

pygmy_goat Member

This is not really an original observation; it's more of a rant.

Imagine this situation playing out, 4 times.

AutoStoreZombie: "Can I help you?" or, "What you need?" depending.
    Me: "I need to replace this." (Hands the zombie a connector from my XJ. It's the 3-position connector that comes out of the alternator and into the rectifier. Not too fancy).
    AutoStoreZombie: "Ok, no problem. What year model?"
    Me: "It's not from a car, so you don't have it in your system."
    AutoStoreZombie: "Did you look on the 'Electrical Parts' rack?"
    Me: "Yes, dumbass, I looked at your random collection of high-output halogen wires for ricerockets to put 1000000 W headlights on with, there's no 3-wire high current inline connectors over there."
    AutoStoreZombie: "Well, I need a car so that I can look it up in my system"
    Me: "Every car ever made (basically) has one of these. Just look up something from some random car and give me that alternator connector. It doesn't have to match."
    AutoStoreZombie: "ERROR ERROR ERROR. Must have MODEL NAME."
    Me: "Seriously, any inline connector from any alternator will probably be fine. I'd even take a 4-position connector. Whatever."
    AutoStoreZombie: "CANNOT LOOK ITEMS UP BY CHARACTERISTICS. CANNOT LOOK ITEMS UP IN BOOK. MUST HAVE CAR MODEL NAME."

Me: Burning down auto store and in search of someone who knows anything about cars, electronics, looking things up in books, anything at all. But it has been in vain. Apparently the skills available/required in the workforce today are: matching things and typing slowly.

AHGHGAHGHGA. I wish there were a NAPA near me. You may disagree, but in my experience the NAPAs always have a guy with a long greasy beard who comes out of the back when you ask a hard question. That's how you know you're going to get somewhere. If the person trying to help you has stick-on nails, you're in for some trouble.

That is all.

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I have it happen to me all the time in those stores. Go to NAPA and save some time.
    Go to the junk yard for those connectors, bring a pair of wire cutters and start opening hoods . Cut off a few and pay the man at the counter a few bucks .

3. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Re: I hate: AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, CarQuest and RadioS

You forgot to continue on with your rant re: Radio Shack aka The Shack.

-Rant on Anyone care to speculate how many billions of dollars in sales these morons frittered away over the years with their moronic question "What's your address"?

I used to start with 1's and work my way up. For example 11111 NE 11th Ave. I swear this is the truth. I once answered the idiot behind the counter with 5555 SW 55th Ave. His response? "Man that's really cool"!

He probably needed a cue card in order to remember to breathe! In all fairness to the employees it was grossly unfair for RS to make them ask the question in the first place.

-Rant off

Loren

4. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

You think not giving them the car make confuses them, give them an actual part number and tell them to find it. Can't do it.

Or grab their keyboard and look it up yourself. They hate that.

At least I'm at the Advance near me enough that the counter help has figured out I know what I want, where it is in their computer and for the most part where it is in the back of the store. They don't let me behind the counter often but I've been back to get my own parts a couple times when counter man can't find it.

5. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Its like that one commercial for new Computers!
    "Whats the difference between these two computers?"
    Sales associate reads the cards in front of the laptops, "Well... Uuuuuhhmmm.."""

Yeah. Its like that all the time. These people dont know jack. Job skills are: Read, write, answer phones, and type. Thats IT!. Now the managers might know a lil more than average Joe. Years of experience and eating the corporate bull will give you at least SOME background.

But yeah totally agree
    -Chris

6. SecaSuca

SecaSuca Member

It is kinda sick, isn't it. Used to be that there were at least one or two guys, (usually an older guy), that knew his stuff and could reference his HUMAN COMPUTER (brain) to help with a project.

There are a couple of independent places here where I live. The guy will look at the part, furrow his eyebrows and (usually) say, "yeah, give me a second".

He disappears into the back and comes out with an option.

"Will this work?"

He KNOWS it will work. It is at this point I bow to the parts god that has saved my day.

Good rant. Thanks.

7. madaba

madaba New Member

Experience = Money, which they aren't willing to pay. I spent a couple years for Advance during college and when I started I was probably one of these guys but I really learned a lot working there over that time dealing with customer projects, experienced co-workers, and our commercial mechanics. I agree though that NAPA will usually yield the best results.

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Don't forget, we have the correct original style connectors shells and open-barrel terminals available for most every harness connection on these bikes.....

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Don't ya love it when they stop working the counter to answer the phone

10. madaba

madaba New Member

Haha I hated doing that, and I hate it when it happens to me now but it's how we were trained. If you're already in the store you'll most likely buy so lets make sure we answer the phone and get that customer in as well.

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

So I walk into my local AZ, and go to the parts counter, because that's how you buy spark plugs.

"I need some sparkplugs."

'Zoner: "what kind of car?"

"They're not for a car, they're for my motorcycles. I need some NGK D8EA's; either 4 or 8 depending on how many you got."

'Zoner: (typing frantically on his keyboard) "ok, I'll look, but I don't think we have those."

"yeah, you do. I buy them here all the time."

'Zoner: "No, sir; I don't show we stock those but I could order some in for you."

"OH, COME ON now; I just bought 4 a month or two ago."

At this point, a more experienced 'Zoner comes along, hears me busting the guys chops and says "whatcha need?"

"I need some NGK D8EA's, Einstein here says you don't carry them."

M.E. 'Zoner: "How many you want?"

"Either 4 or 8 depending on how many you got."

At this point, M.E. 'Zoner disappears into "the back" returning all of 15 seconds later with a box of 10, which he pulls two out of and hands to 'Zoner #1. "Here ya go."

And that's pretty much typical of my AutoZone experiences; I have a couple much more hilarious ones. BOTH of my local NAPA stores have a wood floor, and real counter people who actually know what they're talking about; at least 99.9% of the time.

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We have spark plugs too! :D

13. bigfitz52

Yeah, but that's no fun; you KNOW you have them.

14. bigfitz52

My favorite AZ story:

I walk into AZ with the lower clutch cable bracket screw I've just used an extractor on and horribly mauled the head.

I hand it to the 'Zoner and say "I need a replacement for this."

He looks at the screw in his hand and says "ohmygosh, what happened to this one?"

"It was stuck; I used an extractor on it." I replied.

He looks at me and says: "wow, did it work?"

Honest.

15. RichGoody

RichGoody New Member

Last year when I was out of work for my regular employment (graphic design), I was working for a local motorcycle shop. Mostly repairs on "small engines" and some sales.

Several times (REALLY) people walked into the shop area and ask us if we repaired motorcycles!!

Now THAT is a dumbass! ROTFLMAO

16. iandmac

iandmac Member

I like to ask find the youngest work experience guy and ask him if he stocks welding sparks, or left handed screwdrivers ...

17. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I used to manage stores for RadioShack. Could be a great job if it wasn't for the BS like name, address, what cell phone do you have etc.

Not only is it the corporate stuff, every district or region manager comes up with crap like "stack all the green batteries on the counter and send me a photo within an hour". They threaten to fire anyone who doesn't toe the line.

They drive everyone with a brain out the door or stark raving mad. Visit your local RadioShack every month for a year. Odds are very high that none of the employees that were there month 1 will be there month 12.

I suspect many chain retailers are the same.

18. skw1972

skw1972 Member

and here I thought I attracted ALL the idiots. glad to know Im not alone.

19. pbjman

pbjman Member

Wow, I like my local AutoZone! It is staffed by grown-ups and they are generally knowledgeable and helpful. I've purchased basic stuff for the cars/bike/boat there. I can look up parts online, get the price, and then call to have them pull it ahead of time. They will print pages from the online repair manuals if you want them. They called me when my special order part came in, which was only one day after I ordered it. There's even a guy there who rides his motorcycle to work and even though it's a Harley, he is a nice guy LOL.
    I'll admit I haven't gone in there to ask for anything strange yet, and of course I wouldn't expect them to have XJ specific parts or info.

20. danmar1963

danmar1963 Member

This one happens lot. You call your local A.Z. checking on availability a part you need. They put you on hold. Every ten minutes or so some one will pick up the line and ask if you’ve been helped. So you tell them all over again what your are looking for and they put you back on hold. This will happen 3 or 4 times. So you get feed up and drive to the store where they keep asking for you to wait while they handle the phone calls.

There is no service anymore in customer service