1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Went and got some AutoGlym sealant and HD wax for the truck (Stupid Ford paint started stripping off the front end after 6 years, had to repaint a 2x5" patch with touchup paint).

Decided I should wax the Seca at the same time :)

2. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

welded on passenger peg mount bolts and a new tit for the kickstand as the old one snapped off.

3. bobbytheblack

bobbytheblack Member

primed and painted my gas tank
    installed new battery...

4. pbjman

pbjman Member

Took if for a warm-up ride and then changed the final drive oil. Opened up the airbox, took out the filter, blew it out with compressed air, put it back. Checked battery and added water. (From a new bottle of Kroger drinking water 'purified by advanced filtration, ozone, and reverse osmosis technologies'. The Kroger water used to be distilled but I think it changes sometimes as they are using more than one supplier. So we'll see how this Walmart battery of unknown age handles it!)

5. day7a1

day7a1 Member

There are generally two options of jug water available, distilled and drinking. You can probably still get distilled if you know to look for it. We get deionized water from Culligan in the same big jugs you would think is drinking water.

6. gurgietrueshot

gurgietrueshot Member

Tore the top end off. Took of the off the intake manifolds with out any trouble at all. Either I got lucky or Kroil is magic.. or maybe both. Worked a little on the modified mount for Acewell gauge.

7. unknown

unknown New Member

Finished rebuilding my engine, pretty much had to after the lower head gasket tore apart and it started leaking oil. Went through and replaced every gasket and seal on the engine and got about 95% of the carbon buildup off of the pistons & valves.

I really wanted to fix the 2nd gear problem that this bike has under hard acceleration where the gear will slip out of place, but unfortunately couldn't do it just yet for a variety of reasons. Namely the 30mm center nut on the clutch just would not come free while the engine was out of the bike, I had a pry bar bolted to the drive shaft and a 190lbs guy standing on it while another guy sat on the engine to keep it down, and still they both got lifted up off the ground when I tried to loosen that one nut. Didn't have enough time to get the engine in the bike, remove that bolt, then remove the engine again so I guess I'll worry about it some other time.

Had the bike at a friend's garage in California, threw it all back together and drove back to Nevada today. Hopefully in the next few months he'll get an impact wrench and we'll take the clutch nut out while the engine is still on the bike. Maybe just flip the bike over like some people have apparently done and replace the transmission with the engine still in the bike.

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Rut-Roh !! I bet it doesn't last long 8O gotta be distilled.

9. bobbytheblack

bobbytheblack Member

I installed a new throttle cable...

Then I took her on a ride around Washington... she did good. real good.

10. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Set my pilots to 3.5 turns to see if i could get rid of the decellerate pop (not backfire, just a subtle pop in exhaust) and drove to work.

Better, still a little gurgle but much better. Idle is a little lumpy, need to vac usync again. Idle adjust is all the way out, runnin 1050-1100 by the tach.

Will check the plugs tomorrow after letting her idle for a few minutes after I get home tonight.

I'm starting to think the MAC 4-1 is going to gurgle no matter what lol.

11. rikinwyoming

rikinwyoming New Member

OK, it was a few days ago, but I picked up two non titled parts bikes,,, a 83 xs400 and a 83 xv920, some of the stuff should be usuable on my 82xj750maxim

12. jeffhestand

jeffhestand Member

i used the rubbermaid plastic container and set my float level on # 1 card and worked like a bute. All i have to do now is match the other 3 to it and start hanging back together. But oh yeah need to bench sync before as well. But after that front brakes, engine paint touch up, lube changes, check rear brakes and lube drive splines etc..... never a time to rest.

13. rhys

rhys Member

This wasn't today, but rather a bit earlier this summer. Got together with a buddy of mine who has experience with carburetors. We took the 750 carbs that I took apart over a year ago, made a list of everything that's wrong with them, put them together anyway, and STARTED THAT BIKE! Woo!

Also had another buddy of mine who has another 750 drop his bike off for me to figure out what's wrong with it. Won't start. I may be a newb with carbs, but this guy is a newb with a screwdriver. So we'll see.

14. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

This was actually yesterday lol but:

Starter wasn't engaging so I troubleshooted a bit, found that the contacts for the safety relay were not so fresh (that should be a commercial)

Scratched em up a bit and away she went.

Adjusted pilots more, went for a bit of a ride, ran pretty good.

I don't think i'll ever get rid of the missy idle tho (Stupid 4-1)

MAYBE the Supertrapp will help with that.

15. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Rode up and down the street, (from stop sign to stop sign about 5km) setting up carbs. 1 & 2 rich, 3 & 4 now good. Will run up and down the street again today.

16. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Replaced my valve cover gasket and donuts. Wanted to check valve clearances and shims but I have to work outside no cover and T-storms rolling in, so I had to button her back up fired her up she ran a little better than before. Went on a quick test ride to the gas station to fill up the tank. I also had to replace a pretty dry rotted fuel line running from the petcock to the fuel filter. Thanks for the great write up here with lots of great detailed pics, it made my life a lot easier. I am not what you would call a wrench-er at all. So doing this was a major thing for me! Yes, it is pretty basic but since the things I fix require little phillips screw drivers and rarely do I have to worry about mechanical parts...

Down side I guess I didn't get all the gas out of my tank and it was on it's side for a while wind blew it over. So I need to repaint it real soon. Live and learn I guess...

17. Danny7

Danny7 New Member

Just ordered a caliper rebuild kit along with new brakes for the front and back. Then a new chain and sprockets for my new bike. Looking forward to finally start working on in.

18. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

YESTERDAY:

Took the carbs off and checked that my butterflies were square with the venturi (looked ok, but looks can be deceiving)

Both my vac sync gauges must be the worst ever; Checked the sync by eye when i took the carbs off, and it was totally uneven.

Re-sealed a questionable brass choke plunger nut with plumbers tape.

Check the pilots are not damaged, and clean, o-rings washers and springs are in good order.

Bench sync with 2-3mm strip of business card.

Reset all pilots to 2.5 turns out.

Went for ride, she runs REAL smooth (even without vac sync) but idle would die out.

TODAY:

Checked plugs from 30 second idle from when i parked her last night. adjust 3-4 leaner 1/4 turn, 1-2 richer 1/4 turn.

Went for a 30 km (30 min) ride, she ran real nice all across the board, best she's run since I've owner her! Still has a little hiccup at idle, but i think it's going to be there for the rest of it's life, nothing i do will clear it up. I'm happy with it keeping a set rpm at idle tho, so that's where she'll stay.

Got home, changed the oil and spin-on filter.

What a pain to change the oil with a 4-1, the 4 comes into one right where the drain plug is.
    Devised a neat way to get some paper towel, and a cardboard "V" funnel to direct the oil to my oil collection pan. Worked out pretty good, only a minor cleanup of pipes and block after.

Overall, a very good day, I don't think I have to worry about fiddling with pilot settings or carbs anymore, and can just RIDE IT!

I did notice a small split in the frame on the right side when i was down by the oil drain plug. I'll have to keep an eye on that an hope it lasts the next 10 years i plan on riding this bike :)

19. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey KrS
    Instead of paper towel and cardboard, use tin foil. You can wrap it around the header pipes and then make a funnel all at the same time and the foil stays where you put it.

20. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Or try one of these:

http://www.fumotousa.com/main.htm

They have one design that has a nipple you can slip some tubing over that will let you drain your oil straight into a waiting jug! I got one for my X, but of course the valve won't fit into the recessed area where the drain is located. I'm going to have to order one of the extensions and then try again.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Produ ... L&CartID=1

Has anyone on here fitted one to their bike?