1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

anyone ever try building a custom airbox.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by anton80, Aug 16, 2011.

1. anton80

anton80 Member

i was just wondering if anyone has ever custom built an airbox for a 85 xj 700. im really thinking of making one. im over the damn pods i just wana go back to stock on my bike but would like to custom make one. is there a size limit that it has to be???

2. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

I was thinking about making/modifying one to fit a custom wiring loom. As most of the wiring is where the air box is supposed to be.
    Al

3. Libertas

Libertas New Member

Anton80, I just picked up something along those lines. I will get you pics of how you could moc it up in the next few days. I have been in the same boat as you.

4. anton80

anton80 Member

thanks libertas id really appreciate it buddy. Im just fed up with taking my carbs on and off allready and i havent eaven started trying to re jet my carbs
    so with that being said its time to custom make one. But im wondering can i just make a box and drop a air filter in there

5. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Ride over here and I'll make it run right with your pods.

6. anton80

anton80 Member

thanks for the offer kevin i wish i could believe me Ohio is a little far away

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

All the way from 2K to redline?

8. SBSTebbe

SBSTebbe Member

Hell I live in Michigan and if I run into too much issue I'll take you up. haha.

9. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Actually from 1050 on up

10. schooter

schooter Active Member

Schooter likes this

11. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

mine, filter is a HEPA filter from a vacuum. Works very well and was simple to hack up and modify. Tons more room now too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Fitz is messing with all of you and busting Kev's chops; he doesn't run a tach so he has no idea where redline is (nor does he care, his bike runs the way he likes.)

I'm an airbox and stock exhaust guy, since I like to be able to cruise at 90 when necessary and still get 53mpg in the bargain.

So you guys have fun with the pods. Schooter apparently doesn't believe in them, his latest creation is running NO air filtration whatsoever. Details, details, who needs a front brake, anyway? No DEER in Elkton, right?

I think DW has the right idea; kind of the "best of two worlds" approach, and no boulders in his intake tract.

Cheers, guys-- I need a beer, I just came off a 60 mile commute. (On my XJ.)

13. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

You're exactly right i do not run a tach or speedo (presently) on my maxim, but I know it'll go to max speed without missing a beat. I had it 116 with my Acewell on it a while back, but it's retired to the parts shelf. I for sure can cruise *around* 90 right there with you, Fitz. I'd make a video for you, but I'd still be doubted Re: my pod start/rev/idle video. So Ill just continue to bust chops and talk SHT and ride my perfectly tuned bike with pods. Cheers.

Paul Reese likes this.
  14. RobDrech

RobDrech Member

I don't get it. It this for an XS?

15. kewlman

kewlman New Member

i just put pods on my xj750 runs pretty good.. no problems so far.. i was going to run with half the airbox with a custom flange for a single cylinder shaped filter under the seat.. but just ripped it all off instead..

16. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

XS400J Maxim mini XJ if you will

17. schooter

schooter Active Member

That picture was before my henry abe NOS breadbox

18. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Thanks for sharing that DW... that's brilliant

19. anton80

anton80 Member

i want to avoid all this re-jet none sense i am going to weld some 3by12 thin sheet metal and try to make a box from that i bought a stock air filter that im going to put in the box i just cant come up with a nice design for the box a plain old square box will look hoaky any thought on what can be done i have a 85 xj 700 air box that doesn't fit under my seat that i might cut up and try something with i just love the look of the pods but do not have the patience for re-jeting.... and taking the carbs on and off i've done it enough...

funny thing is i just checked my plugs after my run around the block 1-3-4 are running rich but the #2 carbs which has a berried air mixture needle is fine real light brown but barely... and i am also thinking that my float levels are not set rite when i throttle the bike it chocks even in neutral like its not getting enough gas or is it to much gas????

minor update....any help greatly appreciated

20. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

look in the houseware's section for something made of rigid plastic that you could cut or drill for intake boots and house a filter too. PVC is another option. Be creative. That HEPA foam I used is awesome and cheap from a vacuum repair shop.